X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo kit

would this be a good turbo kit?

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

No, that kit is borderline garbage and the company owner (Chad) is a liar and a thief.

Or talk to Brooks.
    Ded

Comment

I am very happy wioth my kit, no mods were needed besides a couple of cuts in the fender well and you get to keep all accessories except the smog pump. It is a little pricey but it comes complete with everything you need down to every hose, bolt and washer, etc.

http://www.hpperformance.com/1979-95...rbosystems.htm

Comment

Hp makes an awesome kit, very complete and great quality. They have had customer service and shipping issues in the past.

example-----

Please Don't buy from them !! Buy a kit from a company that will stand behind there kits. They have problems with there kits and they know it ! They...

and there are aroung 25-30 other threads like this.

The manufacturers above have great service and Brian from B&G will warantee a kit for worksmanship, even if you didn't buy it from him.

And we all know Brooks, lol.
        Ded

Comment

I had no problems with my on3 kit(302)... My stock, 200k+ mile engine(or the stock headbolts)however, couldn't take the boost. The heads lifted and I said "fuck it".

The kit is now installed on a friend's car and running fine - I don't remember the exact numbers, but it dynoed 460hp+ at the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
            I had no problems with my on3 kit(302)... My stock, 200k+ mile engine(or the stock headbolts)however, couldn't take the boost. The heads lifted and I said "fuck it".

The kit is now installed on a friend's car and running fine - I don't remember the exact numbers, but it dynoed 460hp+ at the wheels.
            <------has owned 4 turbo mustangs and also dealt with Chad the owner of On3 multiple times.\

They have evolved as a kit, but they are still made in china by 10year olds.

Did you at least upgrade to mild steel and the master power turbo?
            Ded

Comment

Mine's a B&G.

Comment

I had 2 b&g's and 1 custom.
                Ded

Comment

B&G has a huge backlog. You should keep it local and have Brooks build it if he can. I know he's busy all the time too. I've owned a B&G kit and a Brooks kit no comparison in craftsmanship...Brooks handsdown!!

Comment

I have a BG / custom. I had to reroute the cold side and build from scratch and reposition the WG. All the mods were my fault though.

I have a BG cold side for a 94/95 for sale.

Oh all my mods are going to be welded by Brooks.
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
                      <------has owned 4 turbo mustangs and also dealt with Chad the owner of On3 multiple times.\

They have evolved as a kit, but they are still made in china by 10year olds.

Did you at least upgrade to mild steel and the master power turbo?
                      I ordered mine after they switched to mild steel hot side for all the kits. I planned to use the Ching-chow turbo(I knew it was Chinese before ordering) as a learner until I figured out just what I needed to really spend money on. That's why it was on a old, stock engine.

The plan was to run it into the ground while building a 347 and then replace the turbo with something nicer. After blowing it up and tearing it down, I decided I don't have time/patience/facilities to build multiple cars.

I looked at the B+G kits before ordering the on3. The b+g kits are much nicer but there was a 6-8 week wait for them to build it.... I'm impatient - so I ordered the on3 kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                        I ordered mine after they switched to mild steel hot side for all the kits. I planned to use the Ching-chow turbo(I knew it was Chinese before ordering) as a learner until I figured out just what I needed to really spend money on. That's why it was on a old, stock engine.

The plan was to run it into the ground while building a 347 and then replace the turbo with something nicer. After blowing it up and tearing it down, I decided I don't have time/patience/facilities to build multiple cars.

I looked at the B+G kits before ordering the on3. The b+g kits are much nicer but there was a 6-8 week wait for them to build it.... I'm impatient - so I ordered the on3 kit.
                        That's what I'm thinking I see all these turbo kits for 4k plus then I see this one for 1400, I know not all parts are the best but if I could get this kit then improve on the weak links I think I would save some cash wouldn't I?? What would the weak links in this kit be?? I know nothing about turbo kits. TIA

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                        You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Now, Rant time - Goddammit... Use the search function. In fact, didn't you have one of these threads already?

...but just in case someone uses the search function in the future - No, I do NOT recommend these kits. UNLESS you know how to weld, can get someone to weld for you or have some means of repairing or fixing cracked faux stainless tubing. (it's a VERY low grade 'stainless' that they use). I'm not saying they don't work, or won't make power - but how long do they last is my question. So far, I'd guess, that 90% of the one's I've seen posted, had experience with, or seen commented on have some sort of problem with fitment or longevity.

..Now, for me - I don't do a lot of 'street' car stype stuff, like -under 700HP. Most of my stuff involves T6 based turbos, or BIG twin turbo setups where the customer wants a certain configuration etc. There's too much of an aftermarket and you can get all of that 'normal' stuff off the shelf. I HIGHLY recommend Brian at B&G custom turbo, when you call him - tell him I've sent you his way (I send a lot of people like you to him).

Comment

I think I had you confused with cobraboy in regards to a previous post, my apologies there.

Looks like Jegs sells those kits now - http://www.jegs.com/p/On-3-Performan...42763/10002/-1

At least if you had problems, you could possibly run that buster ass turbo kit right up thier customer service's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                              That's what I'm thinking I see all these turbo kits for 4k plus then I see this one for 1400, I know not all parts are the best but if I could get this kit then improve on the weak links I think I would save some cash wouldn't I?? What would the weak links in this kit be?? I know nothing about turbo kits. TIA
                              Honestly my engine gave out pretty quick, so I can't speak for what will be the weak point in the kit. If something happens on the current car, I'll post up.

As for the fit on my 87 GT, the only fitment problem revolved around the kit being built for a Mass Air car. I kept my car Speed Density and built a Megasquirt2 ECM. The lack of the MAF left the last pipe just short of reaching the throttle body. This is not the manufacturer's problem, since they built it for a different application.

To resolve that problem, I shipped Brooks the pipe and sent him some bad pictures of where it needed to go. He fixed it up without ever seeing the car in person. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X