Holley float levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holley float levels

I figured out real quick what happens when bowls are too full; brake hard and floods engine. Question is, what if it's too low? What happens then?

The engine leans out and dies, if you're lucky.

Do you know how to set the float level?

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
      I figured out real quick what happens when bowls are too full; brake hard and floods engine. Question is, what if it's too low? What happens then?
      put clear sight plugs in the holley. Adjust the fuel level until you the top of the fuel through the sight plug.

Comment

Adjusting the floats up or down also makes the mixture rich (float/s high) or lean (float/s low) across the entire RPM range. Extending the bowl vent tube/s or even connecting the 2 bowls with a vented tube, are some of the ways to control fuel slosh.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
          Adjusting the floats up or down also makes the mixture rich (float/s high) or lean (float/s low) across the entire RPM range. Extending the bowl vent tube/s or even connecting the 2 bowls with a vented tube, are some of the ways to control fuel slosh.
          I am pretty sure the floats can only cause a rich/lean condition in the extreme conditions... ie

Too high and you brake hard causing enough fuel slosh for fuel to go through the vents and flood the engine.

Too low... only would lean out under hard acceleration if the level got below the jets and the fuel pump could not replenish quick enough.

You do not tune your mixture with the floats. You set it at the right level to avoid the extreme conditions listed above.

You shouldadjust them so that the fuel is level with the threads of the sight hole while idling.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

remember all the toruble ive had with my car tan? thats from the float levels being off

Comment

I had already adjusted the float levels down due to the dieing on braking. Fixed now, was just curious what happens at the other end of the spectrum. THanks.

Comment

mustangguy289 I wonder why they make side hung or end hung float bowls? I wonder what float bowl stuffers are too?

Just some random thoughts.......

Comment

Working...
                X