I love my Harbor Frt toys.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my Harbor Frt toys.....

Had a dead cylinder for a while now, just been too hot to mess the the car to find out the cause. So today I started it up, broke out my Lazer thermometer from Harbor frt and took a reading on all the header primaries. Had two showing about 136 degrees with the rest of them at 400 plus degrees. Swapped out the plugs and all is good. Car runs strong.

On a side note, I have never had two plugs just crap out on me before. That in itself is some strange shit. But they have been in there for a few years.

Nice time saver!

Comment

Did the weak cylinder have any affect on your operating temps? My Cuda runs hot and I could write a short novel on all the things I have tried to fix it. Its a 340 and does have one cylinder that runs cooler than the rest. Just curious here.....
      Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

So you used a $70 tool to do the same thing a $2 water gun could have done? My Raytek was $300 btw and does the same thing

Comment

I got mine for $30 and use it all the time. I love using the laser for the dogs too! I guess it is something fun to chase.

Comment

I got mine at Lowes for $10 on special!

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              I got mine at Lowes for $10 on special!
              Well I did buy mine about 12 years ago, they were about as common then as hand held FLIR guns are now. Man I really want one of those to go with a high speed camera.

Comment

I've been wanting one of these, so I swung by HF today and got one... I've been shooting everything around the office for fun! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
                  Did the weak cylinder have any affect on your operating temps? My Cuda runs hot and I could write a short novel on all the things I have tried to fix it. Its a 340 and does have one cylinder that runs cooler than the rest. Just curious here.....
                  To be honest, it was running on 7 cylinders so I did not drive it much. But you would feel a shutter/flutter when you accelerate if a cylinder was dead

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                    I've been wanting one of these, so I swung by HF today and got one... I've been shooting everything around the office for fun! LOL!
                    $29.99?? That is what mine cost. At least that is what it cost my son, it was a fathers day present.

Comment

I bought this one for $39.99

Comment

I just spit on the headders. It's free!

Comment

The 340 is hitting on all 8, no doubt but one cyl is definitely running cooler than the rest. In fact the ceramic headers have turned flat grey except this cylinder up closer to the head.
                          Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
                            The 340 is hitting on all 8, no doubt but one cyl is definitely running cooler than the rest. In fact the ceramic headers have turned flat grey except this cylinder up closer to the head.
                            Run a compression check, if that is good, swap plugs, if still no go, change wires. As long as your compression is good, then it should be ignition related. Do an ohm reading on that wire on the cool cylinder. Then find another one with similar length and measure the ohms on it. Long shot, but if all that checks out, put the cap off the distributor , check for cracks or crap built up on the electrode in the distributor cap for that cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                            X