Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything to be done about the stiff clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything to be done about the stiff clutch?

I know mustangs are notorious for having a stiff clutch pedal. But is there anything that can be done to soften it up a bit?

Change out the clutch to an aftermarket unit.

Comment

What's your setup?
      Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
      Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

As far as I know, my setup is bone stock. I bought the car used, and I haven't been into the bell housing yet so I can't be sure what clutch is actually in there. But the rest of the car is stock so I would assume that they replaced the clutch with a stock replacement when it went out. Its not like too stiff or anything, its just stiffer than the hondas and toyotas that I'm used to driving. And my buddy says its a good bit stiffer than his V8 camaro. And I too felt like it was a little too stiff for my liking. Also I've heard people complain about the stiffness of the typical mustang clutch over the years. So I thought maybe there was something that could be done.

Although... doesn't the slave cylinder have some effect on the stiffness of the clutch pedal? Can't remember..
        Last edited by SMEGMA STENCH; 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

LOL..

Mustangs until 2005 had a cable setup rather then hydraulic.

The hydraulic clutches a mushy and feel funny.

If yours is stiff, try a new clutch cable.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Oh. Well anyway, I'll see about the cable. Thanks.

Comment

oem ford cable. buy one for a 99-04 gt, it is slightly longer, but will work perfectly fine. That will more then likely fix your problem unless you have other issues inside the bellhousing. I have seen a few times where the throw out bearing will get gummed up with oil and dust from the clutch disc and it becomes hard to push the pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                LOL..

Mustangs until 2005 had a cable setup rather then hydraulic.

The hydraulic clutches a mushy and feel funny.

If yours is stiff, try a new clutch cable.
                Being hydraulic doesn't mean that it's going to be easy anyway, it's all in the pressure plate. My super coupe is hydraulic and it's just as stiff as my mustang was.

OP, man up and do some squats, that or go buy a saturn if you want an easy clutch. You could try the new revision of the king cobra clutch, mine was pretty easy to press.

Comment

This is the one you want: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=897

Originally posted by Maximum Motorsports
                  The photo below compares the construction of an aftermarket clutch cable (upper cable) and an OEM Ford cable (lower cable). Note that Ford utilizes a multi layer construction which helps prevent heat from affecting the sliding action of the inner cable or causing a compression failure of the outer housing, while still allowing the cable to be sufficiently flexible. While we have looked at the construction of many aftermarket cables, none have had a construction that can compare to the quality of the OEM Ford cables.
                  Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  OP, man up and do some squats, that or go buy a saturn if you want an easy clutch. You could try the new revision of the king cobra clutch, mine was pretty easy to press.
                  With the stock cable most mild aftermarket clutches are soft as hell. I'm sure he has an aftermarket cable in his that is causing the issue.

Comment

Probably just need to get used to it especially if are used to driving an import with a hydraulic setup.

My maxima feels like it only takes a pound of pressure to depress after I've been driving the mustang for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                      With the stock cable most mild aftermarket clutches are soft as hell. I'm sure he has an aftermarket cable in his that is causing the issue.
                      I had a stock everything on my 96 with a "reduced effort" king cobra and it was pretty stiff, just as stiff as my 98 with a regular king cobra, double hook quadrant and adjustable cable.

Comment

I'll see if I can figure out if I'm using some aftermarket cable. I take it you buy a ford brand cable from ford motorsport or something. Because as usual, I'm sure the market is saturated with junk versions of this part, that you have to wade through neck deep to get to the one good one. Which in this case would be the ford.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                          This is the one you want: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=897

Yep buy the whole kit from MM and you will notice a very nice improvement in clutch effort and feel. With this cable you need a firewall adjuster anyway. The cable is not adjustable itself.

Comment

Little bit outside my budget. I was hoping I could get the ford one for like 30 bucks or something.

Comment

Working...
                            X