Keep Blowing Coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Blowing Coil

I just blew the 3rd MSD Blaster 2 Coil in 7 years. The car gets less than 1000 miles a year on average. It is raced about once a month on the drag strip.

MSD 6AL
    MSD Blaster 2 Coil Mount on front of engine
    MSD Billet Dist

It went out on me last night. After sitting all day I did the spark test for the box and it failed. Swapped coils and it passed the spark test.

Why do these keep blowing on me? Every time it does I replace it with a $10 coil from oreillys ( my spare) and it starts right up. Do i need a high vibration coil or should I give up on MSD coils and run the cheap ones?
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Higher energy = reduced life span. It's just an electrical component.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
      Higher energy = reduced life span. It's just an electrical component.
      Understandable, but for one to go out every cpl of years with very minimal driving?
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

ran a blaster coil for years with a 6al and no problems, put about 15k miles a year on the car they were on, might double check all your wiring and make sure somethings not goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
          Understandable, but for one to go out every cpl of years with very minimal driving?
          Car stay in a garage with high humidity?

In my apartment the drier vent is routed to the garage... So I have to leave my garage door open everytime I do laundry

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

MSD Coil

First of all it should read MSG on the coil for being made in China. Second of all I've been told to get it off the engine and onto the firewall or inner fender to isolate it from vibration. Just picked the tip up from other racers. Mine kept dying too and I thought is was just where they were made?

Comment

Working...
            X