insulation???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulation???

Any of you guys have experience in classic stangs, feel free to chime in.

I am wondering if a the layer of Dynamat Extreme I've installed is enough to insulate the passenger compartment from the heat in areas of the firewall and transmission tunnel. I have some cheap duct insulation I'm thinking about putting over this, but it doesn't stick as well and it will be a task to undertake. If what I have will work, then I don't want to overkill, and I can move on.

Any opinions welcomed.

I think that will be plenty, especially if your still going to use the factory jute under the carpet.
    Is that a factory interior color on the metal dash? What are the plans on the rest of the build?

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm using the jute, well Im not even sure what jute is lol. I'm just looking to put up a heat barrier, something cheap since I've dropped a load on the dynamat.

Yes that is the original parchment dash color. The car was an emberglow/parchment originally, and since it was pretty unique I decided to restore it to factory. Here is how she looks now, and my completed seats.

The main focus of the build was a balance of originality with improvements. We reused alot since most parts had a FoMoCo label, and still worked. I made some changes where needed but nothing over the top.
      306 FMS Crate 345hp (late model roller with alum. Heads)
      T-5 and built 8" with trac lock and 3.55 gears
      Scarebird front disc
      Kept the manual brakes and steering, and kept the interior factory, including a/c

Long way to go but I'd like to be finished by November, or sooner!

Comment

jute is the thick backing on the underside of the carpet. I would say you have enough with just carpet if the jute is missing.
        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

I bought the carpet from ACC, I guess I'll take a look but I'm pretty sure it's just the carpet. I may just buy some jute, or fabric type insulation like what is on the new firewall pad, and throw that down and be done. I just don't want to have to rip it all out when my ass is sweating. I want to get it right the first time.

Comment

That's beautiful! One of my favorite color combo's. Are you doing the deluxe woodgrain too?

Comment

They make,a jute mat with a foil backing that helps with heat and sound control, most any trim/uphostery shop should have it

Comment

Lovely! The disc upgrade is great. Did you do the upper "A" arm relocation yet?

Comment

The best sound/heat blocker I have found is a layer of Xtreme and then a layer of Stinger Roadkill carpet pad. It is a layer of foam bonded to a layer of vinyl and it is fantastic.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Yes it will have the woodgrain, and no I didn't do the A arm drop. I thought about it, but with the time I have in this thing, I'm ready to get it together and cruising.

Eric, I'll be by your shop to get an audio setup once I get to it. I'll look into the stinger pad, it sounds like what I'm looking for.

Comment

Don't put your carpet in until after you add whatever padding you get. The padding will usually cause the holes for seat belts, etc not to line up.
                      You can also use the foil tape for AC ductwork to cover the dynamat seams so you don't get goo on everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X