No announcement yet.

Are shorty headers even worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound advice. Yeah I was wondering if the headers I bought now would even fit an aftermarket set of aluminum heads. I don't know a whole lot about this shit, but I've heard of people having to buy different headers for their new heads.

Comment

The only time you will need different headers are if you buy high ports. Otherwise all are the same. Buy the longtubes and be done. My 95 with longtubes, mid pipe, catback, 3.73 gears 6 speed and cai ran 8.7's in the 1/8 all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
        I put 1-3/4 Mac LT's and ProChamber mid pipe on my basically stock fox at one time and didn't really notice much difference until it got into the upper revs. And at that time it already had UD pullies and a K&N. You arent going to notice much until you boost it or put some good speed parts on it. Plan for future upgrades and not what you have now, why buy parts twice.
        358" engines that make 900 hp with one carburetor have pipes that large........
        pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

race motor + big headers + this + that + etc etc = mo powa
          daily driver + shorties = whats the point
          get the point???

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
            358" engines that make 900 hp with one carburetor have pipes that large........
            Point? I was saying that JUST doing headers isn't going to change much on a stock motor..
            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by "MrEd" View Post
              race motor + big headers + this + that + etc etc = mo powa
              daily driver + shorties = whats the point
              get the point???
              Yeah. And that's pretty much what I figured to begin with. But I do intend to do they typical Heads/cam/intake to the car one day so it wouldn't just be money wasted. But if it even made the car sound cooler I might still do it. A full exhaust on the car also helps (even if just a little bit) with gas mileage. And with today's gas prices, on a daily driver, that goes a long way. Even if you gained one half of 1% of gas mileage, in a year those mods would have paid for themselves.

Comment

Honestly it probably wouldn't be worth it but it's what ever u like. If u aren't going to turn this into a big race cat or anything then u probably will be fine
                99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
                going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
                  What about these? Says they're for a fox but you can just drill a hole and then they're for an sn95 lol

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/pts/2523477804.html
                  considering i bought longtubes and an h pipe on here for less.. thats a bad deal.
                  ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

They help...flipped forwards with twin turbos in front of them!
                    Full time ninja editor.

Comment

I suggest unless you are prepared to get a tune on this car I wouldn't do anything but an h/x and catback. These cars are finiky and start to have driveability issues when you start deleting egr and. Modding them.
                      But I have to ask why a tuned primary would have no effect on a efi motor. I understand they create a better signal on the carb or at least grasp the concept but isn't that just an effect of the main purpose of a header which is scavenging which creates a vacume or ventury effect to help draw in fresh air from the intake valve.
                      89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                        That doesn't seem to be true with LS motors. I got good gains on my Z06 just going to longtubes.
                        That's just stock though.
                        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
                          Sound advice. Yeah I was wondering if the headers I bought now would even fit an aftermarket set of aluminum heads. I don't know a whole lot about this shit, but I've heard of people having to buy different headers for their new heads.
                          I got a set of bbk shortys with the egr for 94-95 and a new upr offroad X-pipe that I might sell.
                          07 GT500
                          05 SRT10
                          88 turbocoupe T-bird
                          93 Cobra
                          86 coupe
                          Ducati 848

Comment

I sent you a PM but your offer makes me have to ask:

Does it matter if you get the larger sized headers? I'm trying to think ahead for future upgrades. If I intend to get a decent set of aluminum heads some day, wouldn't it be wise to buy headers with 3/4" openings, rather than 5/8" openings?

Comment

Working...
                            X