Alternator issues on 65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator issues on 65

When cruising at night with the lights , fuel pump, and radio on I can only make about 13 volts. At a stop light with the fan turned on this goes to about 10-11V.

During the day cruising can hit 14 volts once up to speed. At stop light with the fan on it will sit around 12 volts.

I currently have a 100 amp alternator ( 60-65 amp was stock) and battery located in the trunk.

Should I replace with 140 or 200 amp alternator?

Electrical items include:
    Fuel Pump
    MSD ignition
    Elec Fan
    Radio
    factory lighting
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

I like the 140 amp because it offers the old style look.
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I would ditch the external voltage regulator and up-grade to one of the newer high output alternators. Yes those "little" alternators just do not put out enough.

Comment

I'm building a '66 right now and I'm adding MSD and an electric fan. I plan to upgrade to a one wire newer style alt. with the internal regulator. I think it's an easy upgrade to the factory harness, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Comment

I plan to upgrade to one wire at same time... but what amp? 140 or 200?
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I have a 180 I bought as a kit off Sleasbay for about $170ish. The only mod I did to it was, install a helicoil kit to use the stock mounting bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
              I have a 180 I bought as a kit off Sleasbay for about $170ish. The only mod I did to it was, install a helicoil kit to use the stock mounting bolt.
              What all do you run on your car? Will it hold 14Volts even at a stop light?

At the races today the starting got weaker everytime due to it not able to keep 14v under 2500 RPM.
              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Yes! A/C on, dual Contour fans low or high, lights on bright, wipers and radio 14.+V.

Comment

How long have you had it? Got a link to it or was it too long ago?
                  www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I would look to a bad connection somewhere, either a battery cable or ground issue. that alternator should be more than enough. what battery are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
                      I would look to a bad connection somewhere, either a battery cable or ground issue. that alternator should be more than enough. what battery are you using?
                      An Oreilly's battery.
                      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Working...
                      X