Switch Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch Wiring

I have the Super Coupe 2 speed fan in my 86 fox. I currently have a switch panel using a 3 way switch to run the fan (on/off/on). I have the switch grounded and am using the ground to activate the relays. My issue is when I have everything hooked up I am only getting low fan no matter which way i flip the switch. I have tested the fan hi and low and relays and they are all good.

Are there any electrical gurus that can help me figure out what is going on here?

Another interesting fact is that I can unhook the low speed from the relay and only have high running to one relay and it will run on high no matter which way the switch is flipped. On the relays I have power running to 30 and 86, fan hooked up to 87 and switch hooked up to 85.

Sorry for the long post.......
    David

1986 GT

i think that S/C system just supplied different voltage to either lead to achieve a low and high speed. So what you have now might just be high and high. Not positive though.
    Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
    90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
      i think that S/C system just supplied different voltage to either lead to achieve a low and high speed. So what you have now might just be high and high. Not positive though.
      I took that fan out and tested it. It has three wires. One was high and one was low. Seemed simple to me, but I think it has something to do with how the relay's are hooked up. But I am not a wiring guy so who knows.
      David

1986 GT

Comment

Touching to ground the wire from 85 should trigger system to work.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
          Touching to ground the wire from 85 should trigger system to work.
          That is the way I have it now. 85 is going to the switch which is grounded. When you click the switch up or down it grounds out sending the ground to the relay and causes the relay to activate. The problem is I only have low speed and I am running a seperate relay for high and low. Maybe I have the wrong type of switch for this setup?
          David

1986 GT

Comment

What amperage are the relays? How many amps does the fan pull on high and low?

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
              What amperage are the relays? How many amps does the fan pull on high and low?
              Relays are 40 amp. I have not measured the amperage of high or low. Others have said high has startup of 90-100 with constant around 30. Low is 20.
              David

1986 GT

Comment

Make any proggress on the fan switch yet??
                Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Working...
                X