Cam guru's: advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam guru's: advice please

It's time for cam in my '95. It's already got all the supporting pieces in place: heads, intake, exhaust, gears, etc. I'm between a B-cam and E-cam. I know, I know...old school. Archie at DMP highly recommends the B at 4* advance at the crank. Should the E cam also be installed 4* advanced also? I'm a little concerned about emissions with the B. I have a catted H-pipe on the car, and want it to pass a sniffer. I currently have 1.7 rockers, which should work well with either cam. Any experiences with either set-up? TIA.

i have a e cam its not advanced and im also running 1.7 rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post
      i have a e cam its not advanced and im also running 1.7 rockers.
      What heads are you running, and how's the power range?

Comment

i have e7 with a auto and no converter so the power rage isn't that great for me. id say from 2500 to about 6200.

Comment

and just guessing on that to. but i have read alot of people having idle problems with fuel injected cars just from what research iv done.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have the Crane 2031 in my '92 and really like it. Good low end power, idles perfect, stock like driveability, and still has a great lope at idle. It passes the sniffer for inspection with no problem (the cam is actually CARB legal). My car has 79k miles and the combo is GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm TB, Crane 1.7 rockers, Crane 2031 cam, 24 lb injectors, AFM 4" inlet pipe with 77mm Pro-M, BBK longtubes, bbk catted hpipe, Dynomax catback, no smog and no egr, tuned with SCT Chip. Here's the cam:

I can't believe it's that much now. I paid $189 from Summit about 18 months ago. It's pretty comparable to the E cam when using 1.7 rockers. Archie is a good guy and knows his stuff. B or E cam with both work fine with your setup.

Marcus
            '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

I believe the "E" cam is the only one that will pass a sniffer of the letter cams.

I have a TFS stage 1 in my 94 cobra and will pass the sniffer. Mild idle but sounds good with the cated X-pipe.
              The richest man in Babylon

Comment

What heads,cam, intake and exhuast?

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                  What heads,cam, intake and exhuast?
                  Edelbrock Performer heads (1.90's), GT40 tubular (65mm TB), 24lb inj., shorties w/Bassani catted H and 40 series Flows. 3.73 gears and a 5sp.

With no tune (an old autologic chip) it put down 262/302.

Comment

I like my E cam. Stock block and heads, cobra intake and 36lbs inj., same exhaust as you, but gutted cats. An old ass paxton sn supercharger made 332/360 to the wheels.
                    Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                    90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

ive got the tfs stage1 in my 94 vert.

god bless.
                      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                        Edelbrock Performer heads (1.90's), GT40 tubular (65mm TB), 24lb inj., shorties w/Bassani catted H and 40 series Flows. 3.73 gears and a 5sp.

With no tune (an old autologic chip) it put down 262/302.
                        So basically its a mild street car? I wouldn't get crazy with the camshaft in it for sure. Those damn SN95 cars are picky when it comes to cams and you probably need to get it retuned for the new camshaft. Have you considered retarding the factory camshaft 4 degrees and reusing the 1.7's? It will knock a little low end out of it and give you some more mid range power.

If you are looking for that thump sound, I'd do the B cam of the two choices. A set of long tubes on it with a custom roller camshaft will net best gains and give you what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                          So basically its a mild street car? I wouldn't get crazy with the camshaft in it for sure. Those damn SN95 cars are picky when it comes to cams and you probably need to get it retuned for the new camshaft. Have you considered retarding the factory camshaft 4 degrees and reusing the 1.7's? It will knock a little low end out of it and give you some more mid range power.

If you are looking for that thump sound, I'd do the B cam of the two choices. A set of long tubes on it with a custom roller camshaft will net best gains and give you what you are looking for.
                          Yeah, just mild street. I just got it inspected and found that I drove it 1200 miles in a year, so it's just a weekend car. Thanks for the help. You pretty much reinforced what Archie said. He's a big B cam fan and knows his shit.

Comment

I have an e303 im swapping for an n41. Id say go for something else. Atleast a tfs 1 or comp 270hr-12
                            1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

I'm a b cam fan as well, I've never run one advanced but it will bring the torque peak down about 500rpm. Just be aware that the 1.7s will change lift , duration and timing events. It ultimatly completely changes the cams attitude in the car. Honestly I would keep stock cam like thesource said and you could try retarding it 4 deg to shift the power up higher in the rpm band or run the b cam with 1.6rr.
                              89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Working...
                              X