5.4 spark plug replacement tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
    Just use an impact wrench. It'll be fine.
    x2, as crazy as it sounds it's the truth. out of the 100's of 5.4 3v i have done, never once broke one with using a impact.

Comment

Originally posted by 06S197GT View Post

Guess I got lucky, I took it real slow and they all came out in one piece, threw some anti-seize on the new plugs (below the threads) and called it a day.
      I did that as well and it went south a few days later when the anti seize worked its way down to the electrode and fouled 2 plugs.

Comment

i just back the plugs off a quarter turn and then fill up the plug well with berrymans carb cleaner for 30 minutes on a warm engine. have yet to break one

Comment

Anyone know if the 4.6's are badd about this as well?

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
            Just use an impact wrench. It'll be fine.
            How small an impact you got? Aint no way any of mine will get the back 2 plugs. I use an air impact ratchet. i do soak them with pb first. Not really a big deal if they break, the extractor works fine. Ive only broke one since using Pauls tip on the impact ratchet.
            And yes the tsb also says 4.6 per alldata.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonw_2005 View Post
              Anyone know if the 4.6's are badd about this as well?
              yes, though in 07 ford changed the heads to use the 1 piece design.

@DFWtechie, 3 months and no issues I should have mentioned i used very little anti seize (no where near the electrode).

Comment

Originally posted by RJDCobra View Post
                x2, as crazy as it sounds it's the truth. out of the 100's of 5.4 3v i have done, never once broke one with using a impact.
                Speaks the truth.

Comment

Working...
                X