Car dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dying

I've got a 90 gt that is giving me problems all of the sudden. I was out driving it one day and the tach started jumping all over the place and the car was backfiring. It died while I was driving and I couldn't get it to start again. I have changed out the distributor, tfi module, fixed the broken plug on the module, put in a new coil and now it will start and run and then just die. It doesn't sputter or shake just dies. It acts like the car is losing voltage but I am not losing anything anywhere else. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

"Deeze nutz"

on the wiring harness
    Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Haha. Eat me. I said help not smartass comments

Comment

Do you have fuel pressure?

Comment

Pickup coil in the distributor?

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
            Do you have fuel pressure?
            X2
            2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
            Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
            Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
            Speedlogix Catch Can
            Resonator Delete

Comment

Yeah it's got pressure. It'll run fine for about a minute or so and then it just dies. Rotor and cap are fairly new and so is the coil. Distributor is a new reman

Comment

Fuel pump relay?
                1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

I've gotten several remans that were crap out of the box. Take it back and exchange it or slap your old one back in and see if the problem changes changes.
                  89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

I'm thinking about doing that. The reman I replaced wasn't very old either. As for the fuel pump relay I do not think that is it. It acts as if the ignition switch is being turned off when it dies. It just shuts off with no warning. Is it possible for an msd box to go bad or would the car even start without it? When I had it out last weekend it was running like crap. Anytime I would step on the gas it would backfire and sputter and pop. It has almost a full tank of gas that is only a week old.

Comment

I've gotten multiple a1 cardone remans out of the box that would run some and die and do the same or even different things than what the original problem was.. When you are loosing the pickup a lot of time the tach will jump around just like what you describe. If you can find a used distributor try it.

Comment

Yeah the tach was jumping all over the place. im about to break down and buy a good distributor so I do not have this problem anymore. since I have a warranty on the distributor I am probably gonna pull it out tomorrow and take it in and get another one. I am hoping that this is the only problem I have. I went out of town a couple of weeks ago and my car was running great. I came back to a car that wouldnt start becasue a damn rat got into the engine bay and chewed through a couple of wires to the tfi module plug. I went and got a new plug and then all this other crap happened. i really hope it is something simple being that it is christmas I do not really have the money to spend on my toy but i do not want it to be sitting around either.

Comment

is the timing right

Comment

sniper, I own a shop and i literally put 4 in a pickup a while back and first one ran good initially then quit after i drove the truck for a day.. Second one wouldn't even start..no fire..... Third one ran but missed intermittently and then 4th one actually ran ok and has for months.. I was about ready to pull my hair out and was beginning to doubt my diagnosis.. But.. I had another identical pickup waiting for a trans that i robbed the used factory one out of and the truck would run perfect with it..

Comment

Well the factory one locked up on me and I twisted the shaft off of it so that is a no go there. When I rebuilt the motor I put in another stock one that worked great for about a day. Got a reman and it ran great until I pulled the top end off to put on new heads and when I put it back together it did the same thing. This last one has worked with no problems until last weekend. When I get home from work tomorrow I'm gonna pull it and get another one. If it works long enough for me to get a better one then ill be happy

Comment

Working...
                              X