Pad knock back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevo View Post
    Check valve in master cylinder leaking back through?

Stevo
    I had a similar thought as well, so I looked into it recently. There is no check valve in the master cylinder.

I'm not an expert on the inner workings of a master cylinder, but if one of the seals is leaking internally would some fluid bypass the piston causing a slight suction on the fluid in the line when the pedal is released?

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
      I had a similar thought as well, so I looked into it recently. There is no check valve in the master cylinder.

I'm not an expert on the inner workings of a master cylinder, but if one of the seals is leaking internally would some fluid bypass the piston causing a slight suction on the fluid in the line when the pedal is released?
      That's a very good guess, and will be my next part to throw at it.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

That's a total guess, but it seems feasible.

I hate doing master cylinders and brake boosters. You may want to bookmark that page for later.

Comment

That's a total guess, but it seems feasible.

I hate doing master cylinders and brake boosters. You may want to bookmark that page for later.
          Boosters suck ass because on the conveinant nut location they chose for them, as if making studs on facing outward along the edge of the booster wasnt cost effective.

Master cylinders aren't too bad, bench bleeding can be a real pain in the ass though.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Time for a 5 lug system up-grade!
            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

I should have clarified what I meant. In the master cylinder near where the steel lines thread into it and behind the tube seat adapter are what are called 'residual pressure check valves'. These check valves, usually made of a soft, flexible material, keep a fixed amount of pressure in the brake lines. The pressure for disks is like 2 pounds, and drums is like 10 pounds, the check valve keeps that much positive pressure in the lines to keep pads and shoes in proper position. If one of the start leaking, it will allow the pads to back away from the rotor until the brakes are pressed.

Stevo
              Originally posted by SSMAN
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

+1 that has seen a master cylinder cause this....
                70' Chevelle RagTop
                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                  I should have clarified what I meant. In the master cylinder near where the steel lines thread into it and behind the tube seat adapter are what are called 'residual pressure check valves'. These check valves, usually made of a soft, flexible material, keep a fixed amount of pressure in the brake lines. The pressure for disks is like 2 pounds, and drums is like 10 pounds, the check valve keeps that much positive pressure in the lines to keep pads and shoes in proper position. If one of the start leaking, it will allow the pads to back away from the rotor until the brakes are pressed.

Stevo
                  Ah! Gotcha.

Comment

Working...
                  X