Fuel Pump question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump question.

Not sure if maybe it is going out or just cold weather causing it..

My car (02 GT) has been parked for about 3 weeks with out starting it.. decided to start it tonight just to let it run for a bit... Went out and tried to turn it over and it tried to start but no fuel going through.

I flipped the ignition on and off maybe 30 times and then I heard the fuel pump kick on and the car started right up..Killed it and turned it over agan and worked fine.

It happened before The last time I tried to start it about 3 weeks ago.. and the battery died before it started.. after replacing the battery it worked fine till tonight. I have heard cold weather effecting the battery but maybe fuel pump to? Or maybe the pump is going out?

How is the alternator? Is it charging....

Comment

just went through this with my dads ranger after he let it sit for a week. I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, still wouldn't start. I sprayed some starting fluid in it and it fired right up and ran ruff for 15-20 minutes then it was fine. I guess the fuel filter may have got clogged or injectors dirty, but It worked

Comment

If you're turning over fine then make sure you're getting fuel pressure. If not, its the pump. If so, then you have a clog. Filter, injectors, ect. May just want some premium gas and go feed some speed to it on the highway for a bit.

Comment

Seems to run fine once I got it started but Just couldn't hear the pump start with the key in the on position... After about 30 tries of just turning the key off and on I heard the pump start then as soon as I tried to start it did,,

And the alternator charges fine.. it is somewhat new.

Seems that I should still hear the pump starting even if there was a clog in the lines.. but I dont know much about them so maybe not
          Last edited by Dinger; 12-17-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I'm having the same exact problem with my 01 explorer, except mine doesn't take 30 tries for the pump to kick on lol. One of my buddies said it might be something to do with the ignition switch, but haven't really looked into since it only does it once in a while.

Comment

I'd be checking my fuel pump relay.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Comment

The check valve in the pump may be letting the pressure bleed off and with a discharged battery ( from sitting for extended lengths of time ) the pump is having a hard time pressurizing the line and starting on the first try . So technically the pump may be weak and the check valve may be bad . I'd still roll it though. I'm a cheap ass though.
                  The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

The fuel pump in my wife's expedition started doing that - it would start fine most of the time but it kept having episodes of not starting that grew more frequent over time. A new fuel pump fixed it.

Comment

Yeah after talking to a few other people they thought pump is probably going bad..

Next question.. Where can I get a good fuel pump not insanely expensive.

Future plans for the car will have a power adder probably not more then 550hp... So not sure If I need a kick ass pump or anything like that..

I have read the SVT focus Fuel pump will work and flows a decent amount for some decent power.. just looking for some feedback on a nice upgrade

Comment

Don't start throwing parts/money at it just yet.

Did you ever check for fuel pressure? I would check the relay first. It's cheap.

Comment

Working...
                        X