quick tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick tire question

my buddy is having some shitty luck with tires, the front passenger decided to shred and after looking at his front driver we noticed 3 nails. well we figured we could just go to the tire shops off of carroll and I30 but they didn't have any used in his size(his tire size is 215/50-R16, volvo S40). they did have two 205/50-R16 but we decided to look at a few other places before going with those. well i got off the phone with a tire place off of harry hines and they said they have four 215/55-R16

he is strapped for cash right now and that is why he is going the used tire route. in a few weeks he'll be able to get all four new tires but he needs something for now

which would be the better tire to get if we can't get his exact size? also mention any other sizes that would be okay for short term...

oh and it's not all wheel drive, just front wheel drive. so different size on the front back wouldn't be an issue

thanks

Probably have better luck finding a 225/50/16, I believe its a more standard size (more so than a 215 at least). I have found the more oddball the tire size, the higher the price is.

I am too lazy at the moment to check Tire Rack and confirm this though.

Comment

the 215/55 is gonna be almost an inch taller mike. not sure if thats gonna create a rubbing issue on a car or not. the 215/50vs205/50 the difference is negligible.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

thanks paul

i am a fucking dummy when it comes to tire sizes...

Comment

Mike, I got a pair of 225/50-16's from Israel (dangerous sep) for something like $70-75/tire, brand new. They're a fairly common size, so you shouldn't have a problem finding those. They are less than 1/2" wider and less than 1/2" taller, so they should work fine for what he's got.

-Aaron

Comment

Different sized rolling radius sized tires can cause an ABS light to activate. The ABS will see different speeds front to rear. Some car lines may be more sensitive to it.

Minor issue yes, a lot better than no tires of course.
            Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
              the 215/55 is gonna be almost an inch taller mike. not sure if thats gonna create a rubbing issue on a car or not. the 215/50vs205/50 the difference is negligible.

god bless.
              this is incorrect, 55% of 215 is not a inch taller than 50%of 215. more like 1/4 to 3/8 of and inch bigger. so yes 215-55 will work with no problems but will be just a little bit taller...

Tesla Service Technician.

Comment

If it's for a month buy one cheap shitty tire and roll it . So his abs light will come on . So his abs will not work . So what . If it's only for a month cheap out and be cautious . Now if he's like most customers who will roll a bald /wrong size tire till the next one pops , he needs a set of OE / proper size tires now and nothing else will work .
                The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
                  If it's for a month buy one cheap shitty tire and roll it . So his abs light will come on . So his abs will not work . So what . If it's only for a month cheap out and be cautious .
                  Um... thats kind of what I stated...

I deal with Ford cars at a Ford dealership. Seems lately, most owners do not want to spend the money to properly fix their cars. Thats cool... I know, times are tough for a lot of people. Just wanted to state incorrect sized tires can cause issues other than fitting the car properly.

Not a lot of time with a Volvo. It might have a smarter ABS module than a Ford and figure it out.

Just my .02$
                  Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

It's just as dumb , it'll set a code for incoherency and kick the system off . Not bashing ya just kinda agreeing with ya . And pointing out my frustration with my current customers . Still better than Don Davis Lincoln and Nichols Ford . The independent I'm at now is very euro heavy and though frustrating they are just as stupid as American systems.
                    The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

damn i never thought about the abs thing..

he was going to replace just the one but apparently it's a really rare size cause out of 5 big tire shops not one had one

Comment

I have my tire guy digging around in Lancaster if you still need that size. He was going to let me know today, they have a ton of used tires.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

No dice on that size.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                          X