Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about jeep cherokees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 96 4.0. I replaced the radiator, had a cracked manifold, and replaced the cps. That being said, it had 260k on it when I Totaled it and it was running great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anonther one.

Comment

Yep i agree they are great motors but hell, they are some damn idiots that designed them. My wifes 98 TJ has the 4.0 and its been a descent vehicle. Another POS idea they had was not to mount an external fuel filter, but alot of cars are like that now.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
        Yes, it's a 4.0. I have a diagram showing where the CPS is, but i hate to hear that it's actually hard to get to (dammit!).

Thanks for all of ya'lls help!
        Drop the tranny cross member and it makes it a ton easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
          Drop the tranny cross member and it makes it a ton easier.
          Oh shit... it's sitting in a school parking lot. Looks like i'm going to be there for awhile.

I suppose the rear of the engine drops, making it easier to get to the sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
            Oh shit... it's sitting in a school parking lot. Looks like i'm going to be there for awhile.

I suppose the rear of the engine drops, making it easier to get to the sensor?
            yep, all you would need is your tools and a floor jack. It really isnt hard at all. I personaly would drop it a bit and then go at the CPS from the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
              yep, all you would need is your tools and a floor jack. It really isnt hard at all. I personaly would drop it a bit and then go at the CPS from the top.
              OK, good info. Thanks!

Comment

wheres it stuck at? if its close , id be more than willing to help out.

being stuck in a parking lot sucks.

Comment

Well, the plot thickens. I finally got back into town and had a chance to go look at the jeep. The fuel pump primes, there seems to be good fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail (but i don't know the exact fuel pressure), and it has spark.

When i turn it over it tries to catch immediately, and then just turns over.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Got in it, floored the gas, and it started.

Comment

Good deal, i'd be checking that rail with a gauge tho, believe its 49+/- 5 with the key on. Sounds to me like some bad fuel or pump going south.

Comment

Maybe an idle air bypass? Dunno what they call it on the Jeeps. I know the Exploders with the v6 have issues with that a lot! If you don't keep the trottle cracked it'll just die.
                        92 LX 5.0

Comment

She said that she started the jeep after school, and pulled forward into the parking space in front of her, and heard the belt squeal and the jeep died and would not restart. She complained several times of hearing the belt squeal last week.

I took the belt off today all all of the accessories/tensioners/pulleys turned freely. I did find and fix a major vacuum leak in a hard plastic hose, and that could have made a sound like a belt squealing. So, i just don't know whats going on with that jeep yet, but maybe it's fixed.

Comment

Fix, and unload it. It will only get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post

Ill buy it cheap lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                                Nah those are great motors.....

Just
                                Empty
                                Every
                                Pocket

Comment

Working...
                                X