No announcement yet.

Ford coolant vs. Chevy coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only rule I go by, and all the techs I've worked with go by is to NOT MIX COOLANT. Of course that was always with the gold and green. Now ford uses a weird super dark color coolant. Not sure about the rules with that and other coolants. Something to do with the coolant ionizing badly when you mix them.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Dexicool has caused a lot of clogging of the cooling system in the past. Not sure if they ever really fixed it.

I've had friends who bought NEW GM cars, drain the radiator when they got home, flushed it, and filled it with the green stuff. (They didn't want issues later in life).

Comment

Ford gold is known to cause lots of problems in the diesel community. The silicates in the fluid clog oil coolers etc. It and the EGR system on the 6.0's is why they have such a horrible reputation.
        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

So far no problems with the Ford Gold in my 4.6 DOHC at 65K miles.

Comment

i remember reading that if you mix them it reduces the life of the coolant.

Comment

Somebody said it already but certain coolants mixed will turn into jelly. I'm sure there is a compatibility chart out there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
              X