About to give up on my TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to give up on my TC

Ok so I'm just about sick of working on my 87 Turbo Coupe. I mean I fix one thing and something else goes wrong. Im just tired of every weekend having to fix something on it so I can keep it running as good as it does.

So when I first got it the power windows, locks, wipers, radio, cruise, and power seats didn't work. So I figured out that the ignition switch was bad and replaced it. When I did everything above was fixed and started working great. Well now 3 months later it's starting to do the same thing again. Im sure since it sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t and it’s the same systems failing it’s prob the same thing. But why after 3 months is the same circuit going bad in the same way?

Next is the cooling system, When I first got the car the cooling fans weren't working, I did all the testing and found that it must be the ECT. So I replaced it but it didn’t fix the problem and the fans still didn’t work. Well I did some more research and found that over time there is a coolant line in the lower intake that can get clogged up so I spent a night in the garage pulling and replacing the line. Sure enough it was clogged up with this brown mud like stuff that had the consistentsey of beach sand. I replaced the line, put it all together and BAM the fans kicked on when they were suppose to. Well that lasted a week and then the fans stopped working again. I thought about it and since I had 2 other coolant leaks I decided to spend a little money and replaced all the coolant hoses under the hood. Again when I got to the line under the intake the new line was already clogged up again. Got the car all put back together with no visible leaks and the fans working again. It's been a week now and the fans have stopped working again (guessing clogged line) and Im losing water in the cooling system with no visible leaks. I can smell a faint smell of coolant when I turn on the heater but the smell only last for a second and there is no coolant in my floor board so I don’t know at this point.

When I got the car it had a crazy idle. I cleaned out the IAC but it didn’t seem to help. I checked the volts on the TPS and they seemed to be in spec. So I started checking all the vac lines and found that they were all cracking and just coming apart. So the same weekend I replaced the coolant hoses I replaced all the Vac lines under the hood also and so far that seems to have fixed my idle issue.

Two weeks ago the blower motor for the heater started making a wining noise and over this last week it has gotten so bad that I don’t even want to run the heater for all the noise it makes. Im sure it’s a bearing in the blower motor and it will need replaced. Since Im thinking the heater core is leaking some I guess I might as well replace this part at the same time.

Next to deal with is the snaggle tooth frontend that’s on my car. It was smashed when I got it and if you have seen the car you know that it's just the fiberglass that is busted. But it took me 2 months to find a new nose for it and now that I have it I can't find a decent person to paint it at a fair price.

But even when I get the frontend painted I still can't seem to find a new inner park light cover to replace the busted one I have now. Speaking of light covers, I was cruising down I30 the other day coming home from work. I passed an 18 wheeler and heard a tap on the side of my car as I did. When I got home I noticed that the tap I heard had to be a rock or something off the 18 wheeler that had hit the side of my driver tail light cover and broke part of it off. Now Im looking everywhere for another set of them (looking for a sit since the passenger one has a crack in it) with no luck at this point.

I just don’t know how much more money I want to put in this car. I mean every week Im having to fix something and at this point Im getting sick of it. I have a closet of new parts waiting to go on the car but can't put them on since Im always having to fix something. New wheels, New nose, FMIC, Koni Struts for the front, and a set us air shocks for the rear. Im trying to start my own business and it's really hard when Im having to hemorrhage money from my bank account to keep my baby here running good. Im just getting tired guys, Im really thinking of getting another civic for now. Not to go fast in, but to just have a car I can fix up a little without something always going wrong. The TC is a dependable car and has never let me down. But its taking a lot of work to keep it that way… :-(
    That MF'er is prolly so fast it would be like riding a big giant can of rape named bubba just outta prison set free in a girls college dorm.

Welcome to the world of hot rods.

Comment

I'll give you $200.00 for that heap, but you'll have to bring it to me in Allen.

PS Don't forget the bumper cover
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARY View Post
        Welcome to the world of 2.3t.
        I've given up on Svos because of crap always breaking lol

Comment

I had a chance to pick up a SVO for a good price. But then all the problems it had when I drove it made me pass!!!
          GOD BLESS TEXAS
          August Landscaping
          214-779-7278
          Seb's high class.
          He'll mow your grass.
          He'll kick your ass.
          And while his kidney stones pass,
          He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

My TC was solid; I drove it 100 miles a day 5 days a week for 2 years. My ranger brakes sometimes but it’s a toy I expect that. And my SVO is doing well, but I've only had it 2 weeks. But I know that when you’re driving a 26yo car shits gona brake. Heater cores, window motors, bushings, ball joints, vacuum hoses, and stuff brake. I drive an 86 SVO, and my wife drives an 88 lx vert. We keep an 89 mark VII as a spare car. When something brakes, we take the spare car until I have time to fix the daily. As long as the repairs stay under the cost of a car payment, I call it a win. So far in any given month the most I've spent on repairs have been under $200. And they only brake every now and then. I maintain 3 cars for a lot less than the cost of one new car.
            I have not had all the problems with 2.3t’s that everyone talks about, I guess I’ve been lucky.
            By the way Shane if you decide to keep it I might have some nice inside marker lights, and I have a set of Chuck W motor mounts I’ll sell you.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
              My TC was solid; I drove it 100 miles a day 5 days a week for 2 years. My ranger brakes sometimes but it’s a toy I expect that. And my SVO is doing well, but I've only had it 2 weeks. But I know that when you’re driving a 26yo car shits gona brake. Heater cores, window motors, bushings, ball joints, vacuum hoses, and stuff brake. I drive an 86 SVO, and my wife drives an 88 lx vert. We keep an 89 mark VII as a spare car. When something brakes, we take the spare car until I have time to fix the daily. As long as the repairs stay under the cost of a car payment, I call it a win. So far in any given month the most I've spent on repairs have been under $200. And they only brake every now and then. I maintain 3 cars for a lot less than the cost of one new car.
              I have not had all the problems with 2.3t’s that everyone talks about, I guess I’ve been lucky.
              By the way Shane if you decide to keep it I might have some nice inside marker lights, and I have a set of Chuck W motor mounts I’ll sell you.
              brakes ≠ breaks

Comment

If you do decide that you want to sell it, let me know. I am looking for a TC to go with my SC. IIRC, your TC has a rebuilt title right?

Comment

No offense, but that's exactly why I told you I wouldn't trade you until all the problems were fixed. Some of these cars are really good, and some are really bad. Then, that's compounded with previous owners who didn't fix everything properly or with recommended parts (yes, this ABSOLUTELY matters on these cars). My 2.3T coupe hasn't given me a single problem yet, and it's my daily driver. They're not really great cars to buy on a whim, or get just because you "think they're cool." You have to go into buying a TC knowing you're gonna lose your a$$ on parts and diagnosing problems. Hope it all works out for ya.

I might know where a complete, running, driving donor car could possibly pop up for sale soon. I'll post up if it does.

Comment

Yes JC it does. PM me with an Offer on it if you are really interested. This is my only car guys and I put about 700 miles on it a week. The motor runs perfect, but Im really tired of working on it every weekend to keep it running perfect.

I think Im going to post it up on CL today or tuesday if I get a chance to take pics of all the parts I have for it.
                    That MF'er is prolly so fast it would be like riding a big giant can of rape named bubba just outta prison set free in a girls college dorm.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
                      No offense, but that's exactly why I told you I wouldn't trade you until all the problems were fixed. Some of these cars are really good, and some are really bad. Then, that's compounded with previous owners who didn't fix everything properly or with recommended parts (yes, this ABSOLUTELY matters on these cars). My 2.3T coupe hasn't given me a single problem yet, and it's my daily driver. They're not really great cars to buy on a whim, or get just because you "think they're cool." You have to go into buying a TC knowing you're gonna lose your a$$ on parts and diagnosing problems. Hope it all works out for ya.

I might know where a complete, running, driving donor car could possibly pop up for sale soon. I'll post up if it does.
                      Well hotrod its a really good car, it really is. Everything on the car works down to the tape deck on the stock radio. There is no tares in the seats and even the power lumbar works. But I feel like I am always working on it to keep it in the shape its in. Hell it only has 82k miles on it. It just needs someone that has more money to keep it up or that puts less miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SHO_SHANE View Post
                        Well hotrod its a really good car, it really is. Everything on the car works down to the tape deck on the stock radio. There is no tares in the seats and even the power lumbar works. But I feel like I am always working on it to keep it in the shape its in. Hell it only has 82k miles on it. It just needs someone that has more money to keep it up or that puts less miles on it.
                        tares ≠ tears

Comment

I have to admit, since the turbo failed, I have had more problems than I ever imagined with my SVO. I'll be glad when I get the shortblock for this, and can move forward. I am paying for previous owners sins and work. There are people that should not be allowed to own cars. He was one of them.
                          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

if this shit was easy, women and children would be doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by JETFAST View Post
                              if this shit was easy, women and children would be doing it.
                              LMAO! Being a car lover isnt cheap
                              GOD BLESS TEXAS
                              August Landscaping
                              214-779-7278
                              Seb's high class.
                              He'll mow your grass.
                              He'll kick your ass.
                              And while his kidney stones pass,
                              He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Working...
                              X