Hood question for body shop guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood question for body shop guys

I got a mach 1 hood for my car but wont be installing the shaker scoop setup. I was looking at buying a universal scoop of somekind that matches the lines of the hood to cover the giant hole in the hood. Im not sure what the hood is made of so didnt know if i should go with a fiberglass scoop to make it easy to bond since i think the hood is also fiberglass. But i also saw some scoops made of urethane, would those be harder to attach? Can you even bond those kind to the hood or are those meant to be riveted on?
    2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

the problem will be in what you use to mate the 2. You will need some vette panel filler (no swell) If you don't want to see where it was bonded.

Comment

Originally posted by spederman View Post
      I got a mach 1 hood for my car but wont be installing the shaker scoop setup. I was looking at buying a universal scoop of somekind that matches the lines of the hood to cover the giant hole in the hood. Im not sure what the hood is made of so didnt know if i should go with a fiberglass scoop to make it easy to bond since i think the hood is also fiberglass. But i also saw some scoops made of urethane, would those be harder to attach? Can you even bond those kind to the hood or are those meant to be riveted on?
      Couldn't you just use a scoop off the 03-04 cars? Use some sort of trim around the hole itself. They bolt on.

Comment

I was going to take a 99-04 scoop and push it through the under side of the hole and see how that worked. Paint the scoop black like a simulated shaker. Just bolt on a scoop and be done, if you bond it, it will eventually crack.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
          I was going to take a 99-04 scoop and push it through the under side of the hole and see how that worked. Paint the scoop black like a simulated shaker. Just bolt on a scoop and be done, if you bond it, it will eventually crack.
          Yeah, thats what i'm leaning to, just getting something to bolt on. I gotta find one that will fit it and still look good.

Are the Mach 1 and stock GT hoods made of the same material? some sort of composite fiberglass?
          2002 4.6L 5spd S281

Comment

It is not going to look good.

Comment

Originally posted by spederman View Post
              Yeah, thats what i'm leaning to, just getting something to bolt on. I gotta find one that will fit it and still look good.

Are the Mach 1 and stock GT hoods made of the same material? some sort of composite fiberglass?
              Yes, to my knowledge, they are made of fiberglass. I thought the stock scoop should fit over the hole and bolt around the hole. You could cut out the front of the scoop too.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpony View Post
                It is not going to look good.
                yeah, after thinking about it, i think i'm just gonna drop the coin on a shaker scoop also. It wont be functional since i'm running a Si trim, but at least it will look awesome. The next problem i'm sure i will have is mounting the shaker scoop to a bullitt intake. I'm sure that will require some sort of fabbed up bracket. Oh the joys of modding
                2002 4.6L 5spd S281

Comment

the bracket will not be hard to make lmk and i can post up some pics of what my mach bracket looks like. I wasn't tryting to dog your project but i just didn't think they would mate well.

Comment

OK, first they have not used fiberglass for a long time now. It is made of SMC (Sheet Mold Composite) which is an epoxy with fiberglass strands mixed in for reinforcement.

If you decide to mold a scoop on you will need to use some type of SMC repair. The Corvette repair is one, but several brands are out there. GM, 3M, Kent are just a few.

To bolt on a shaker you’re going to have to get creative in the mount. Bolting straight to the hood it will sit way high and look like crap. You will have to cut it or make a mount to lower it in the hole.

Comment

picked up the shaker scoop setup off ebay, should be here during the week. Now to fab a bracket that will work on the lil 2V. Gonna need some help with that...
                      2002 4.6L 5spd S281

Comment

If you were going to bond it, use Marine Tex. It will work. I would not bond it.
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                        X