Best MPG stock 4.6L GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best MPG stock 4.6L GT

Ok what is the very best anyone has gotten out of their 4.6's??? Any mods/ tuning to get it there? Trying to decided whether to keep mine or sell it to get a commuter. I drive 60 miles one way to work and gas is not getting any cheaper. Its a 99 GT 5spd. Is 28mpg realistic?

Jeremy

stock gears?

Comment

I get 22 with an auto, 3.73s and a few bolt ons with highway driving only
      2004 Mustang GT: BBK shorty headers, BBK O/R X, Flowmaster catback, JLT cold air, Trickflow 75mm TB and Plenum, UD pulleys, upper and lower CA's, 3.73, SCT XCal 2 ---- SOLD

Comment

My numbers going with city, then average 70/30 highway, then pure highway:

96 NPI GT, 5 speed 3.27 gears -17-24-27
        96 Mark VIII Swap GT, 5 speed 3.27 gears - 19-26-30
        98 PI swap GT, bolt on, LT header, 3.73 5 speed - 15-20-23
        99 GT Vert, auto, 2.73 gears, bullet mufflers - 16-22-25

Comment

mpg

Well the gears is what I'm wondering about. If it takes 2.73 rear end gears to pull down 25+mpg then thats what I will do.

I was going to go stock longblock, typhoon intake, 75mm Accufab T.B, CAI, BBK full length headers and O/R x-pipe, spintechs and Magnaflow tailpipes with a tune of course. Stock 19 LB injectors. 18in wheels. I just want it to breathe better. I was thinking of a 3.23 rearend gear?

Just curious what y'all was getting. I have all the parts in hand. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Comment

I had a highway trip in my 04 one time where I got 26 mpg, it was stock 5 speed with stock 3.27 gears.

I would say normally I drive 70% highway, and usually get around 22.
            68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
            63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
            i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

I would think 22-24 would be about the max. 28 is really going to be pushing your luck.
              2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
              2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
              2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Our Mach gets about 25-26mpg on the highway. The car is bone stock with exception of exhaust work.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Our Mach gets about 25-26mpg on the highway. The car is bone stock with exception of exhaust work.
                  lol my old Mach got 26 mpg with a Eaton on it Mach 1's FTW
                  2004 TR Mustang Mach 1 RIP
                  2003 DSG Mustang Mach 1
                  2014 Race Red Shelby GT500

Comment

08 GT/CS According to the car's computer over the last 1200 miles I've averaged 20MPG. I also did a highway and city reading and again according to the computer got 24mpg on a trip to the Wichita Mountains which was mostly highway and when I was doing city mileage I was pulling down about 17 or so going back and forth to work.
                    2004 Suzuki DL650
                    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Mach 1 - rai/x pipe/catback. I was set for tune and 4.10s but didn't want to kill my mpg

Best so far is 24, 40 mile round trip to work everyday which is about 50/50 city highway. I cruise at about 75-80 normally though
                      Last edited by pr1042; 03-20-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I got 28 MPG ONCE in my 02 GT 5 spd w/ a head wind coming back from Oklahoma.

In my 09 GT 5 spd, I am currently showing 21.7 Avg on the computer, but I can only seem to muster 25 MPG max on the highway. To get that, I have to do no more than 65 MPH and baby it to speed. I have 3.55s too. At 70, I get 24 MPG. At 75, it really starts to drop...80 gets me aout 22.

Both cars had catbacks/axlebacks and K&N drop-in filters...the 02 was lowered.
                        كافر

Originally posted by sc281
                        Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                        Originally posted by Trick Pony
                        ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Working...
                        X