Electric Fan (wiring help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fan (wiring help)

After getting my fuel pump/module replaced, I figured its time to get my electric fan wired up. I ordered a relay kit and got to hooking it up. It looks like its a 40A relay. It also has/had a 20A in-line fuse going to the fan from the relay. After I got it all wired in, I cranked the truck up and let it warm up. Once it reached the trigger temperature, I heard the fans try to start and then a pop. I was able to find a 30A fuse to replace it with, however, it blew as soon as I put it in. I've got the relay and the temp sensor wired to constant hot, which needs to be corrected, the temp sensor needs to be moved to a keyed 12V source.

My first problem is that I don't know what this fan came out of, so I'm not sure what the specs are on it. I've got both fans wired parallel, in such a way that they come on at the same time. I don't have a/c so I don't need to worry about the second fan kicking on when the compressor cycles on.

It has been quite a while since my electronics courses, so please forgive me. I'm assuming that if I go to a 40A+ fuse, it will burn up or blow the relay. Would it help if I split the hot wire for the fans between the fuse link and the relay and wire each fan with its own fuse before the relay?
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.
Working...
X