Electrical gurus - custom HID wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical gurus - custom HID wiring question

As I understand it, at least from what I can gather staring at an HID headlight system, it converts the power from DC to AC. The issue I have is I need to increase the wire length between the ballast, and the light bulb itself. From about 18" to 6 feet. The problem is I have no real good place to mount the ballasts above my windshield on the light bar. What I'd like to do is run wires down to my interior and store the ballasts inside. Will this affect the light in any way? I know running AC long distances with braided wire is not the best method, but since it's AC I can't ground to chassis, so I have to run all 5 lights - 10 wires - down into my interior. Do you think this length would have any potential problems?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Go up one gauge size and heat shrink the connections . The benefit of hid is low amperage . True it is high voltage ( why it HAS to be insulated well ) but you shouldant have any real current lossage from adding 10' of quality wire with good connections.
    The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Silicone jacketed 25KV wire, good quality heat shrink, and staggered solder connections.

Six feet is a really long run for a system like that. Is there a reason you did not pick up one of the LED bars?

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
        Silicone jacketed 25KV wire, good quality heat shrink, and staggered solder connections.

Six feet is a really long run for a system like that. Is there a reason you did not pick up one of the LED bars?
        it's about $1,500 cheaper doing it this way.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sounds like good enough reason to make it work.

Wire one up off the car and see what happens. I bet you could get by with regular jacketed wire for testing. Just keep them a good distance from one another.

Comment

Sounds like good enough reason to make it work.

Wire one up off the car and see what happens. I bet you could get by with regular jacketed wire for testing. Just keep them a good distance from one another.
            I really can't do that, I have to run 10 wires from my windshield frame.

Comment

Can you not remove a single ballast and bulb to bench test?

It would just be nice to confirm they will fire off with a harness that long before dropping way too much on expensive jacketed wire.

Comment

Can you not remove a single ballast and bulb to bench test?

It would just be nice to confirm they will fire off with a harness that long before dropping way too much on expensive jacketed wire.
                Yep that's what I'm going to do, I was just curious about the implications of a long run.

Comment

So you cant do it but you can? So confused.

Comment

So you cant do it but you can? So confused.
                    You said "Just keep them a good distance from one another." I can't do that, I have to run 10 wires down my windshield frame.

Comment

I was talking about the normal jacketed wire during testing.

Comment

LOL have you even tested one yet?
                        do you really need ten ? I think you know the answer to that.
                        Can't always claim my plans are 'reasonsible' either buy hey 10 HIDs ? you're going to shoot them afterwards, no need to burn them first !

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                          LOL have you even tested one yet?
                          do you really need ten ? I think you know the answer to that.
                          Can't always claim my plans are 'reasonsible' either buy hey 10 HIDs ? you're going to shoot them afterwards, no need to burn them first !
                          It's AC power, yes I need 10 wires.. a light requires a positive and negative, so it's 5 lights, or a typical light bar.

Comment

Working...
                          X