Building an A/C system from near scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an A/C system from near scratch

Lets talk condensors for a minute. I busted the line on mine trying to get it to clear the turbo housing. That got me thinking, can I put another condensor in the car with better line locations for my application.?.

I picked up a 1999/2000 S-10 condensor yesterday at the pick and pull to test the fit. Not bad for $20 and the fact that I left a set of 1/4" sockets deep and shallow and the Lyle magnetic tray sitting on a windshield. Ugh

It is not as tall as the factory BUT it puts the lines coming out the bottom, bonus. It is made more like a radiator and I have searched that they flow better, bonus. The line fittings are a tube nut design over the Ford spring line design, bonus. They fittings can be found on varius aut a/c parts houses to make my own lines with, bonus so more.

Here is what I am looking at right now. The silver is the S10 condensor.

Any thoughts?

Next up will be to relocate the accumulator/drier into the fender well. If I can find one that will accept my pressure switch and has the tube nut design for the lines I will sittin pretty.

I ordered this little gem to come off the back of the a/c compressor.

Should give me much more room than this.

I just need to get all the components and then start with the lines. I figure get the fittings, buy the hose (from Kim's) preassemble and have Kim's do the final crimps.
    Last edited by KBScobravert; 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Those fittings look awfully similar Keith.

Sorry, I don't know enough to help, but I sure I had time to put AC in the 65.

Are you working all day?
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

A universal condenser is another option. They come in plenty of sizes and will have the same fittings as the manifold block you already ordered.

You should not have a problem finding a dryer with the same fittings as well as a pressure switch port.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
        Those fittings look awfully similar Keith.

Sorry, I don't know enough to help, but I sure I had time to put AC in the 65.

Are you working all day?
        Off today doing the mother's day thing. I wished I was working on the cobra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
          A universal condenser is another option. They come in plenty of sizes and will have the same fittings as the manifold block you already ordered.

You should not have a problem finding a dryer with the same fittings as well as a pressure switch port.
          I need to look into those universal ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

As you know my system is a complete mutt, fbody condenser, escalade compressor, modded express van? accumulator, fbody evap in the mustang heater box, etc. I think the main concern when mixing parts is making sure the new condenser is close to the same size as the old one as the system relies on it to pull the heat out of the refrigerant. My condenser is pretty much the same size as my radiator (31x19")

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              As you know my system is a complete mutt, fbody condenser, escalade compressor, modded express van? accumulator, fbody evap in the mustang heater box, etc. I think the main concern when mixing parts is making sure the new condenser is close to the same size as the old one as the system relies on it to pull the heat out of the refrigerant. My condenser is pretty much the same size as my radiator (31x19")
              Wait till you see the hybrid of a system this is gonna be. I finally found the ends for the hoses I need.

I am trying to get a parallel flow with the fittings to come out at the passenger side bottom. All the ones I find are 30"x15" and smaller. All the larger types have the block type connections instead of tube nut o-ring or spring lock.

Comment

well good luck with it, it is refreshing (literally and figuratively) when you get that first blast of cold air from it!

(here is a picture of my system before i had the custom lines made, thankfully gm is nice and uses common hose ends)

Comment

well good luck with it, it is refreshing (literally and figuratively) when you get that first blast of cold air from it!

(here is a picture of my system before i had the custom lines made, thankfully gm is nice and uses common hose ends)
                  How does that top and bottom line clear the radiator support and headlight panel?

Comment

Top line

Bottom line

Comment

Top line

Bottom line
                      I can work with that. I would have to get the block ends from the junk yard and have them welded to the hose barbs.

Maybe when I go back to the pick and pull I can find my set of sockets I left Saturday.

You say that is just an F-Body condensor? 99-04 Camaro should work then? I found some new ones for less than $150.

Comment

i've got a guy in mansfield who parts out f-bodies, has everything you can imagine. i think i gave 20 for the condenser, he'd probably throw in the stock lines for a few extra bucks. beats pulling from the junk yard (and losing your tools)

Comment

(his name is robbie - eight 1 seven 437 1691 ) (and it was 30 for the condenser and hard lines)

Comment

i've got a guy in mansfield who parts out f-bodies, has everything you can imagine. i think i gave 20 for the condenser, he'd probably throw in the stock lines for a few extra bucks. beats pulling from the junk yard (and losing your tools)
                            Available on Saturday? I need to get movin if I want to get it in by the Power Tour.

Comment

(his name is robbie - eight 1 seven 437 1691 ) (and it was 30 for the condenser and hard lines)
                              Nice. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X