Optima battery alternative.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima battery alternative.

I'm curious if anyone has an Optima battery alternative. I have two of them now, one deep cycle, one standard red top. They've both been ruined because of them sitting for several months witout bieng used and appear to be "sulfated" according to their FAQ.

I'd like to use a gel cel type battery (as opposed to a lead-acid batter) to keep from having to enclose it (it's in the trunk of my coupe)

Duralast has an AGM series of batrerys now. "Platinum" series is how they lable them. Theyre ~$150 with a 3 yr free replacement warranty.

Beats an optima which is 200-250$ with only a 2yr warranty.

That's Autozones prices and coverage I know the Optimas will range on price from different venders.

Plus the duralast are black and silver, so they look good too, not your typical cheap battery look.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

I believe you can try to recover the optimas by connecting them to a good battery parallel for a bit. Then connect them to a good charger. My buddy has a dead one with very little use on it. But it sat around for a long time too. He found the article online, but we have not tried to fix it yet to test the process.
      Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
      90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

I have had good luck with these from napa
        07 GT500
        05 SRT10
        88 turbocoupe T-bird
        93 Cobra
        86 coupe
        Ducati 848

Comment

there is always the lithium ion's
          $$$$
          Have no idea though on how long they last

Comment

Red tops have a three year non-prorated warranty. Red tops do not outgas.
            You have to disconnect ANY battery or put a maintainer on it 24/7 if it sits.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
              I believe you can try to recover the optimas by connecting them to a good battery parallel for a bit. Then connect them to a good charger. My buddy has a dead one with very little use on it. But it sat around for a long time too. He found the article online, but we have not tried to fix it yet to test the process.
              This is what I was telling you about at the track Brooks. Let me know if you want to use my charger.

Comment

I saved an old yellow top off my bagged truck years ago with a small little trickle charger for ATV/motorcycle batts. Autozone/oriellys both said it was no good and couldnt be saved.

That battery Is now in a friends truck few years later.

Comment

Look for an optima on the used rack at Autozone

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                  2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                    Look for an optima on the used rack at Autozone

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                    They won't be there anymore when they go used we have to send them back to the distribution center, used to we would could mark them down to used but not anymore. I scored 3 yellow tops to $35 a peice this way.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
                      Yes there is a somethin they call sleeping battery and with the right charger they can awaken

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. With all the trouble I've had with optima batteries and now that other companies are selling 1100CCA dry cells, I'll likely spend my money else where.

I did see the parallel charging trick some time ago, and did it on these batteries. One of them, prior to the 'trick' wouldn't charge and acted as if it had short internally. Once I charged in parallel, it took a charge and went to 100%. Afterwards, the other one did the same.

They'll start the car a few times, all with the voltage guage showing ~11V at it's peak. My A/F guage won't even turn on (it requires 13.7).

Right now, I have them fully charge and I'm taking them to the store for a load test. If they fail, I'm going to try to get them replaced - they're both under 3 years old. Once I do, they're likely to be sold.

Comment

Diehard makes a dry cell battery that seems to be pretty good

Comment

I've got a tiny Oddysey or however you spell it I'm selling in the classifieds. It's a PC680 if I recall.

Comment

Working...
                            X