Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission

Keeps popping out of first gear. Has become a real pain in the ass.... Is there any company that I can just buy a remanufactured transmission, and sell them my core for not much more than a rebuild?

Its my daily, so I'd be stranded while it was being rebuilt.... it'd be easier to just swap one out. And if I had it rebuilt and got a rental car, I assume it'd cost as much as just buying another transmission.

Keep existing T-5? Go to a T-5Z?

I hate t5s. Id find a used 3550.

Comment

Had that problem with mine and it was the shift stops out of adjustment. Took them back a few turns and never had another problem.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        I hate t5s. Id find a used 3550.
        Those aren't easy to find, locally atleast.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
          Those aren't easy to find, locally atleast.
          I forget its not 2000 anymore. You could stumble around and find a cheap tremec.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            I forget its not 2000 anymore. You could stumble around and find a cheap tremec.
            Yeah you'd be better off finding a tko, but $$$. The 3550 was a more direct swap too right? Same spline counts? Or did you still have to change the clutch disk and d/s yoke? 3550 is a damn good transmission and defiantly worth it if you can find one.

I saw one in Canada a while back 850$ and it had a cracked case, and needed internal work. Sheesh!

Comment

Only mod was to the crossmember. Needed to grind the spot welded so it could slide back on the tubes.

It was a great replacement trans.

Comment

OP I have the t5z in my coupe and I'm happy with it, the .62 5th makes for some low rpm cruising on the highway. I'm at about 65~mph at 2000rpm with 3.73s.

Comment

I offer stock remans for $695 + a core and the shipping. If you want to sell your core locally, add $150 to the price. I also offer several other upgraded units for different price ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                    I offer stock remans for $695 + a core and the shipping. If you want to sell your core locally, add $150 to the price. I also offer several other upgraded units for different price ranges.
                    pm sent!

Comment

Back at ya, let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Comment

Still havent pulled the trigger on anything yet... Kinda hesitant for some reason. thesource offered an "HP350" which I have never heard of nor am I finding anything via google for $1095 + shipping. Kinda leaning towards just going with another T5. Mine runs fine with the exception of first gear... pops out when accelerating. Doesn't matter if its easy or hard acceleration. I put a stock shifter back in it to see if it would change, but it did not. Still popped out.

The car is stock, and will probably remain stock for another year or so. I drive it approx 700 miles per week, so reliability is my main concern.

Anyone have any additional thoughts to throw out there to help me decide? I can't have mine rebuilt cause it's my daily driver... so I was planning to just buy one already rebuilt, and either turn mine in for a core or sell it outright...

Comment

why don't you ask thesource what hp350 means or is? I am assuming since he is one of the board's transmission gurus he would be happy to do so.
                          2006 Civic SI
                          2009 Pilot
                          1988 GT
                          CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

The engagement teeth on the syncro may be damaged or worn causing it to pop out.

I was having this issue and I backed off my shifter stops like I previously mentioned. Your shift fork could also be bent, which is a $15 dollar fix and can be done in a afternoons worth of work and very easy, a novice at transmission service can do it very easily. If anything you could probably repair this yourself and it be just as reliable as the next.

My biggest tip is to not be afraid of working on the unit, especially something small like this. I picked up a book at barnes and noble that has a step by step on t5 rebuild.

I'll post the title when I get home in case you want to pick it up and take a look at how easy a t5 is.

The_source is a great trans builder, I got a basic t5 from him and hammered the piss out of it for over a year and the only issue I had was due to my own stupidity and blowing out reverse gear.

Comment

HP350 is our personal unit. Its a 3.35 ratio T5 with some upgrades done to it to give it a little more strength while still retaining the same gear ratio and direct fit into your car. I offer everything from a SS which is a stock replacement to an XR+ which is built with the A5 gear kit and 9310 main shaft. It's all a matter of budget and need.......

I also just picked up a TR3550 I am going to go through, freshen up and have for sale. It has a 26 spline input shaft instead of the 10 spline shaft right now but I can build it any way you want including installing carbon fiber syncro rings for better shifting, 31 spline output shaft like the TKO or even reinstalling a 10 spline input shaft to retain the factory type clutch. Price for this unit would be somewhere between $1200 and $1800 with bell housing and Pro 5.0 shifter depending on how you want it built.

Comment

Working...
                              X