Gears!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears!

Just picked up an '89 coupe last night with 80k on the clock. This car is specifically going to be for track use only. It's got bolt ons for now, and I'm going to do heads/cam, while I'm building a motor on the side.

It has 3.73s in it now, and doesn't move out very well. I was thinking about putting 4.30s in for the current setup. Do you think this will be too much gear for an all motor car?

Keep in mind, when I'm finished with the new motor, I'm going to swap the tranny and also put a built rear end in with different gears, so these gears would just be temporary.

For just a track car no that sounds fine. What head a cam setup are you looking at?
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

It's got a B cam now. I was wanting something a little more aggresssive. I was looking at some of the Anderson Motorsport cams, and probably just pick up some used GT40/Trick Flow heads to have worked cheaper.

I'll get better heads when I build the 351. Any suggestions?

Also, what fuel pressure and timing would you recommend to set at?

Comment

auto or stick?
        04 GT
        91 LX

Comment

It's a 5 speed.

Comment

Go with 4.10's. I had them in my car and drove it everywhere. 1.7 60 ft times.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNCH View Post
              It's got a B cam now. I was wanting something a little more aggresssive. I was looking at some of the Anderson Motorsport cams, and probably just pick up some used GT40/Trick Flow heads to have worked cheaper.

I'll get better heads when I build the 351. Any suggestions?

Also, what fuel pressure and timing would you recommend to set at?
              40psi and run 14 to 16 degrees in timing. Hopefully you have an adj, FPR.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocket5.0 View Post
                Go with 4.10's. I had them in my car and drove it everywhere. 1.7 60 ft times.
                This car will literally never be street driven You don't think I'll benefit at all with 4.30s? Keep in mind, the car feels like it doesn't pull hardly at all with the 3.73s.

Comment

I think it will get slower.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                    I think it will get slower.
                    You think it'll run a slower 1/4 mile ET, or you just giving me shit?

Comment

without heads the 302 doesnt breathe well above 5k, and you start loosing power. So keeping it in the power will be faster than spinning it higher. I could be wrong, but I have stock 302 with 4.30's and it is a real dog.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        without heads the 302 doesnt breathe well above 5k, and you start loosing power. So keeping it in the power will be faster than spinning it higher. I could be wrong, but I have stock 302 with 4.30's and it is a real dog.
                        What cheap, used set of heads would you recommend?

Anyone else care to throw out an opinion on this?

Comment

a true track whore of a car needs to be non-streetable because of obscene power levels, right???

what's your end goal?
                          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                          dont downshift!!
                          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                            a true track whore of a car needs to be non-streetable because of obscene power levels, right???

what's your end goal?

I'd like to get pretty deep in the 12s here in Amarillo, on the current setup.

Probably looking at getting into the 10s and have a bracket car after the new motor and drivtrain are done (which will be awhile.)

I'll hardly ever drive it on the street. Maybe once or twice a month for shits and giggs.

Comment

10s on motor or the 12 second setup getting sprayed into the 10s?
                              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                              dont downshift!!
                              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X