Wiring question/opinion wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring question/opinion wanted

So it's time I get off my ass and get my 86' project going again.

It's getting a carb'd 302 w/ a c4 so no real electronics needed.
    I am also fitting in a SN Dash into it. No AC or heat.

Would you strip ALL wiring out and get a 8-10 circuit kit and put in it - why

Or

Take what's there and make it work - why

Thanks in advance for any input and experience you have gained doing your own projects.
    86 SVO

Start fresh. By the time your done , you wont be using any of the factory wiring anyways.
    One day at a time.

Comment

I vote dissecting the factory harness. I have done mine and helped on my buddys car. Its a bit of work but its free and works well.
      Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
      90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

That's where I'm at. I LOVE the cost of the factory harness. FREE
        But I have no idea of the condition or completeness of the current wiring in the car and what's been done the past 26 years to it.
        So starting from scratch is VERY appealing.
        Going with the setup I am, I know it won't take much to get it running and driving. Just don't know how much of the PITA factor I am willing to deal with on the factory wiring.

Thanks again for the input so far.
        86 SVO

Comment

Coming from someone who's stripped out the stock wiring and redone it -it's not quick, it takes time. The reward is that you know every wire in the car.

I left my brake light harness in the car and stripped the unnecessary wires from it. I clipped all the plugs for the headlights, MF switch, etc.. and got to work. The aftermarket harness was only 129$ I think..

There's some pics in my build thread if you're interested.

Comment

Thanks for the input Brooks!
            86 SVO

Comment

Working...
            X