Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me what I did Wrong?

2003 Cobra

Radiator fan broke was digging into the shroud - Replaced the whole fan assembly. The only thing I removed was the inter-cooler tank, I was able to swing around the overflow jug without draining it (spilled just a little from the smaller upper hose).

Now that its all together it wanting to overheat - on a test drive i lost alot of the coolant from the overflow coming from that cap. Yes I plugged the fan back up.

Another symptom is AC wants to blow hot when starting off from a red light. Once you get up to around 3rd or 4th it starts blowing cold again.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like your fan isn't working right.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

did you burp the system?

Comment

As Stated above, sounds like the fan isn't properly working. The A\c symptom makes it sound like the fan isn't coming on. At highway speed you force enough air through the condenser and radiator to keep the pressures in check. At stop or slower speeds the lack of airflow causing the high side pressure to shoot up. There is a pressure switch that shuts the a\c compressor off at high pressures (around 450 psi, rather than the normal 225-325 psi it should run). Check your fuses to make sure you don't have one of the Maxi's popped that powers the fan. Also start the car, let it idle and turn on A\c, the fan should start running when you turn on the air or shortly after.

Comment

Ill give those suggestions a try and see what turns up... What is the proper way to burp the system? I'm going to probably just flush the radiator and try again.. The fan does come on with the ac off around operating temp, have not tried kicking on the ac to see if comes on right after.

Comment

I hope you didn't allow it to overheat too much. It doesn't take much to pop the head gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by 94mstng94 View Post
              I hope you didn't allow it to overheat too much. It doesn't take much to pop the head gaskets.

It didnt get all the way to "H".. It was at 3/4 mark

Comment

Too me it look like a leprechaun..

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

the reason the ac is blowing hot at a stop and not a roll is it needs the fans to cool the freon down at a stop. and if it cant the freon stays liquid and builds to much pressure and the compressor can pump that high so it shuts off. it blows cold while driving cause the moving air cools down the freon. check the fan fuse under the hood and see if its burnt out. mine burnt out and i had no idea it didn't over heat cause i guess there is a bypass for the cooling but not for the ac. i didn't find out till i replaced damn near the whole ac system.

Tesla Service Technician.

Comment

Did a piece of the broken fan puncture the radiator?

Comment

here is a link to how you fill and burp the cooling system
                      Cobra, GT500, mustang, lightning, thermostat, thermo, thermastat, stat, t-stat, gt, low, temp, performance, performence, reische, riesche, reiche, rieche, riche, rishe, reishe, rieshe, reichi, riechi, richi, rishi, reishi, rieshi, riech, rishe, reish, riesh, riesch, risch, reisch, resche, reche, rechi, rechi, reshi, rech, reshe, resh, resch, ford, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 160, 160*, 170, 170*, deg, degree, 03-04, liter, litre, 99-01, 03-04, 05-06, mach, one, bullitt, 4.6L, 4.6, 5.4L, 5.4, mod, modular, engine, motor, sohc, dohc, 32V, 3V, 4V, 2V, radiator, cooling, system, coolant, tank, heat, exchanger, reservoir, racing, terminator, shifter, gasket, lightning, boost, overlay, cobrabob, Hilton
                      2003 oxford white cobra whipple powered corn fed
                      2018 F150 RCSB 5.0

Comment

No it didnt puncture the radiator.. Ill try that burping procedure and see if that helps..

Comment

Easy test... Turn the car on, turn the AC on max. Go watch the fan and see if it kicks on. Report back after watching the fan for a few minutes.
                          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                          dont downshift!!
                          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Bout to go try and get this thing fixed today.. Appreciate everyones tips and suggestions.. Going to start by just flushing the radiator and getting new fluid in there.. It needs it..

Comment

Originally posted by cman7482 View Post
                              bout to go try and get this thing fixed today.. Appreciate everyones tips and suggestions.. Going to start by just flushing the radiator and getting new fluid in there.. It needs it..
                              ^
                              |
                              |
                              |
                              |
                              |
                              \/
                              Originally posted by don svo View Post
                              easy test... Turn the car on, turn the ac on max. Go watch the fan and see if it kicks on. Report back after watching the fan for a few minutes.
                              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                              dont downshift!!
                              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X