AC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC question

The girlfriends WRX Impreza's AC is squealing real bad. Can I just change the clutch or do I need to replace the whole unit?

Normally yes you can. Sure its just not the belt slipping ?

Hey ... I didn't eat no stinking corn.
    Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

When is it squealing?
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

With ac on?

Comment

Ok. Now is it constant or it cycles with the clutch?

Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

cycles

Comment

Hmmmm. Serpentine setup or does it have its own drive belt? But sounds to me it the compressor that's bad. The clutch free spins till it engages . If it was slipping it would have a diff squeal than the belt. But if you smell a bit of burned rubber when you looked the hood then the belt. The clutch smells like hot brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
                Hmmmm. Serpentine setup or does it have its own drive belt? But sounds to me it the compressor that's bad. The clutch free spins till it engages . If it was slipping it would have a diff squeal than the belt. But if you smell a bit of burned rubber when you looked the hood then the belt. The clutch smells like hot brakes.

A lot of times, the bearings in the pulley get smoked. they start to bind up and you get belt squeal when it engages. Remove the serpentine belt from the AC pulley and check the pulley for a lot of play or tightness. When the field is not engaged, the pulley free spins. As long as the compressor isn't on it's way out, just replace the belt, clutch, pulley & field all in one shot. Makes life easier and it'll be a much happier car.
                Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                dont downshift!!
                Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

On some compressors you can replace the bearing and the pulley however it's not as simple as it sounds and they need to be pressed in. I would just pay extra for a new compressor since you're going to have to drain the ac system anyways

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                    On some compressors you can replace the bearing and the pulley however it's not as simple as it sounds and they need to be pressed in. I would just pay extra for a new compressor since you're going to have to drain the ac system anyways
                    Why would the system need to be drained?

Belts are cheap and easy to replace do that first then while the belt is off do like Don said and spin everything over.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                      Originally posted by dee View Post
                      Why would the system need to be drained?

Belts are cheap and easy to replace do that first then while the belt is off do like Don said and spin everything over.
                      I did almost 4 years as an AC/electrical tech for Ford and Lincoln.

Check to see if the pulley is starting to lock up before dumping $300 into a compressor.
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
                      X