Car gets hot when moving w/ AC on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car gets hot when moving w/ AC on

Ok it looks like the Tx heat is getting to the Cobra. Today I noticed that when cruising with the AC on the temp needle will creep up to the "L" in normal. I turn off the AC and it drops back to the "R". It won't get past the "M" when sitting at idle with the AC on, it's only when at speeds from 5-45mph in stop and go traffic. The cap is a new 16#, the Radiator is a big 2 Row Griffen, and both fan speeds are working properly. I'm quite certain it isn't the fans because it only does this when moving down the road. Could being low on Freon cause this situation? Could the condensor be freezing up and blocking airflow? I'm going to flush the radiator with vinegar this weekend, but I'm still a little stumped.

change out thermo and see if it still runs hot.
    04 GT
    91 LX

Comment

Well my thermo is a 195 and I did some datalogging today. The ECM says the car gets as hot as 222º with the AC on and runs at 204 with the AC off. The stock gauge was decieving because it looks really hot with the needle sitting on the A in NORMAL. 222 is still a little warm for my taste but looking back at previous datalogs my ecm was saying the car was 204-208º when it was in the lower 90's oputside. It's about 10º warmer today so i'm sure it has an effect. I'll be cleaning the radiator with vinegar this weekend, and I may even replace the wp. When the car is at idle all the water in the radiator is doing is a little sloshing around. When I rev it it sloshes more but the coolant never drops. I reused my old waterpump when I changed a bunch of stuff several months ago so it has close to 70,000 miles on it.

Comment

in addition to the above, if you want it to run cooler, changing to a cooler thermo will help...
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I'm not so sure about that. Running 222º the termostat is already open all the time. I just purchased a stock air dam as mine has been long gone for years. Perhaps this will help with the 15-40mph cruising temps.

Comment

Just ordered a Ford Racing waterpump.

Comment

What year is the cobra? I can almost guarantee you that it's the radiator and if it's a 96/97, I can 100% guarantee it. My 96 GT 4V ran warm, like up to 235*F if the ambient was over 100*F and it was the radiator.

Comment

Mine was not Wanting to cool today in city driving.. Bunch of red lights.

Normally it sits about 1/4 way up the gauge or lower, but today it was more like 1/2 gauge and not cooling just staying constant.

I normally run with the fans off unless I stop and never have issues. I guess it's just hot as hell outside.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                  Mine was not Wanting to cool today in city driving.. Bunch of red lights.

Normally it sits about 1/4 way up the gauge or lower, but today it was more like 1/2 gauge and not cooling just staying constant.

I normally run with the fans off unless I stop and never have issues. I guess it's just hot as hell outside.
                  Stop an go overheating usually indicates a fan issue, highway and A/C overheating usually indicates a radiator issue. Since you aren't running fans, that is the reason it was getting warm.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    Stop an go overheating usually indicates a fan issue, highway and A/C overheating usually indicates a radiator issue. Since you aren't running fans, that is the reason it was getting warm.
                    I have fans I just didn't have them switched on until it was too late, then it wasnt cooling very well. Didn't get any hotter but sure wasn't cooling down.

They are dual fans from a 91 Nissan sentra and I'm using the stock 1 core radiator with under drive pulleys. < not a good cooling system by any means.

I need a 2+ core with a mark 8 or Taurus fans.

Comment

It's a 95 with a $500 aluminum Griffen radiator. Aluminum with 2 1.25" rows. I'm kinda thinking the thermostat closed crooked. This has happened to me twice already.

Comment

Check thermostat like mentioned and also try some water wetter.
                        2014 GT
                        2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                          in addition to the above, if you want it to run cooler, changing to a cooler thermo will help...
                          Changing to a lower temp thermostat will not correct an overheating problem - it could make it worse.

Comment

My 95GT runs Cool with the AC on. But im not sure what thermastat I have in it. Just know it runs cool
                            GOD BLESS TEXAS
                            August Landscaping
                            214-779-7278
                            Seb's high class.
                            He'll mow your grass.
                            He'll kick your ass.
                            And while his kidney stones pass,
                            He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                              My 95GT runs Cool with the AC on. But im not sure what thermastat I have in it. Just know it runs cool
                              No way!

Comment

Working...
                              X