Do it myself, or have a shop do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it myself, or have a shop do it?

So I am pretty mechanically inclined, and not afraid to dive into anything including engines but I am not 100% sure I have all the tools to do this and don't want to spend more in tools than I would to have it done.

Basically I picked up a 92 LX Coupe that was a 4 cylinder conversion last week from a guy in East TX and he didn't know a ton about it as he got it earlier in the year. This is my 3rd Fox coupe so I pretty much knew what to look for and was comfortable enough with the deal. The car came with a set of 15in Weld Pro Stars that I hate, and the suspension is lowered in the front and seems to be jacked up in the rear. Baron said he would trade me wheels/tires so I am gonna go that route, but after trying to fit them up over the weekend I discovered when they did the 5 lug conversion they simply replaced the front rotors with Lincoln MkVII rotors and thus the wheels he has won't fit on the front.

I then found a guy in Ft. Worth selling a set of spindles, hubs, brakes, etc. off a 95 which should get me what I need to make this work. I also want to swap in some decent lowering springs all around as well as new shocks and struts as I am pretty sure the suspension might still be 4 banger suspension.

My question is can I swap all that in my garage without any special tools? I know it will need an alignment afterwards, but that is fine. I have a good jack, jack stands, air compressor, impact gun, air ratchet, sockets, etc. I don't have a spring compressor, but I don't know if I need one.

The car is not a daily driver, so I am not in a hurry... but I prefer to do things myself if I can. Are there any good how-to's on swapping in the 5 lug fronts?

Thoughts? Advice? Sarcasm?
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

I did all that with basic hand tools.

You can do it, dont be scared of the springs, just be cautious. No need for any type of spring compressing tools, they won't work anyhow. Just man up and use a few pry bars and a floor jack on the fronts.

The rear is cake walk with all 4 shocks off.

You'll need an impact to change out the struts on the front. (top nut on the caster plate)

Also, if it's lowered go ahead and get a caster camber kit so it can be properly aligned. I went with the cheapo SVE lowering springs from late model. $100 for all 4. They ride fine and it sits fine too. The rear could be a little lower but I'm fine with it for now.

None of what you stated is hard work, it all is pretty easy actually.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Spring compressors always worked for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
        Spring compressors always worked for me...
        The ones they rent at AZ did not work. Too big and bulky.

You don't need them anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
          The ones they rent at AZ did not work. Too big and bulky.

You don't need them anyhow.
          I used those and they worked fine. I always thought they were necessary. But maybe i was doing it all wrong.

Comment

I assume this would also be a good time to change out any bushings I can while I am in there... I am thinking ball joint, a-arm bushings, sway bar (can easily do later)... anything else?

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
              I assume this would also be a good time to change out any bushings I can while I am in there... I am thinking ball joint, a-arm bushings, sway bar (can easily do later)... anything else?
              If you change the a-arm bushings, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                If you change the a-arm bushings, good luck.
                So you are saying that is a bad idea? I don't get it...

Stevo

Comment

I put in a set of lowering springs and didn't use them.

The compressor that goes on the outside didnt work for shit because the spring bends in it's natural position between the perch and contol arm, the inner spring compressor wouldn't come out once I got the spring into position.

If they were drag springs, maximum motorsports offers a clip to hold the spring to the control arm, since it's so long.

I just did this a few months ago and didn't use any.

I left the control arm in place in the k member and took the strut off and opened it like a jaw and they popped right into place.

Not sure what you guys were doing, because a floor jack will compress the spring if you're doing it with the control arm off the k member.

???

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                    So you are saying that is a bad idea? I don't get it...
                    Near impossible to be honest. You have to press/burn out the old ones. It's easier to replace the whole arm.

Comment

Near impossible to be honest. You have to press/burn out the old ones. It's easier to replace the whole arm.
                      exactly. I beat on the medal sleeves for days and finally found a method of doing it. Of course, I also tried a press and ruined one a-arm.

Also, if you take the a-arms off, there is only one way to get it all back together. You have to place the spring on the a-arm, and then set the a-arm on a jack and jack everything into place. DON"T bolt the a-arm in and then try to put the springs on.

Comment

Ive always used a spring compressor, thought they arnet always absolutely nessisary. I think I could make good money designing a compressor that comes down the hole in the arm, rather than being longer than the damn spring.

The springs are the only thing that isnt an unbolt - rebolt swap, just because its not fun. Still can be done on the garage floor with basic hand tools. A arm bushings suck to change. Arms are easier.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          exactly. I beat on the medal sleeves for days and finally found a method of doing it. Of course, I also tried a press and ruined one a-arm.

Also, if you take the a-arms off, there is only one way to get it all back together. You have to place the spring on the a-arm, and then set the a-arm on a jack and jack everything into place. DON"T bolt the a-arm in and then try to put the springs on.
                          I left my a arm bolted in, didn't have any problems other then it being the first time I ever did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            Ive always used a spring compressor, thought they arnet always absolutely nessisary.

The springs are the only thing that isnt an unbolt - rebolt swap, just because its not fun. Still can be done on the garage floor with basic hand tools. A arm bushings suck to change. Arms are easier.
                            X2
                            its been a while since i changed A-arm bushings but i think i rented a ball joint press from O'reily and it make the job 10X easier.

Comment

I left my a arm bolted in, didn't have any problems other then it being the first time Ive ever done it.
                              We took mine completely off. had to get it in that way. Even said it in the manual I had to buy LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X