Blown head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown head gasket?

Compression numbers are all spot on, but i'm getting bubbles and a "surge" of coolant when i rev the engine up. sound like a blown HG?

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
    Compression numbers are all spot on, but i'm getting bubbles and a "surge" of coolant when i rev the engine up. sound like a blown HG?
    The surge can just be from the water pump speeding up. Now if you have the belt off and that is happening, then yeah. Bubbles can indicate a small hole in the HG. Any overheating?

Comment

Didn't give it a chance to overheat, just put a new head and cam in and changed the hg, etc. noticed the oil in the valve cover was getting milky and turned it off.

oil was milky after the initial start on new combo, but i don't know if it's from the old setup or not. I just put new oil/filter in it, was going to let it run for a few then drain the new oil and see what it looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
        Didn't give it a chance to overheat, just put a new head and cam in and changed the hg, etc. noticed the oil in the valve cover was getting milky and turned it off.

oil was milky after the initial start on new combo, but i don't know if it's from the old setup or not. I just put new oil/filter in it, was going to let it run for a few then drain the new oil and see what it looked like.
        Milky oil isn't a good sign. Is it a brand new head, or a used one? If used, did you have it surfaced and checked for cracks?

Comment

I'm not sure if the old head gasket was toast, i already threw it away so i can't check - hence the oil change. The head was decked and presumably checked at the machine shop. It came assembled with cam installed.

I scraped and lightly sanded the deck surface of the block, but didn't use sealant of any kind. torqued everything per spec and in proper order.

It's only an hour or two to tear back down, i just loathe the thought of cleaning up the mess again. I'll regain my motivation in an hour or two.

Comment

Some of the milkiness could be from coolant falling in the motor on tear down or sitting in the elements.
            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
              Some of the milkiness could be from coolant falling in the motor on tear down or sitting in the elements.
              I let it run for a bit (5 min or so) then checked the cap and it wasn't nearly as bad as before. How quickly would the "milk" occur after new fluids?

thanks again yall

Comment

wtf happened?
                Last edited by lowthreeohz; 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

the hamster got pissed?

The gasket was prob bad to begin with.

Comment

i'm thinking the head bolts didn't get torqued right, or there's crud in the bottoms of the head bolt holes keeping it from bottoming out.. head was decked so i could be off a tiny bit? grasping for straws here.

and lol @ the hamster! i think the buggy just got a name.

Comment

notice the white text.

How much was the thing decked. It looks like the gasket got compressed. Im sure you put it on correctly. Ive seen your post and know you can turn a wrench.

new headbolts i assume?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                        notice the white text.

How much was the thing decked. It looks like the gasket got compressed. Im sure you put it on correctly. Ive seen your post and know you can turn a wrench.

new headbolts i assume?
                        Not sure on actual amount taken off, was supposed to bump the compression up to like 11:1. The head bolts are new and not TTY (thank god) so i guess i'll go get another fel-pro and try again. I wonder if my 'calibrated wrist' didn't lead me astray. i took an air nozzle to the bolt holes and blew them out pretty well, so when it goes back on we'll see what happens.

Comment

Yeah man, just chase the threads in the block with a tap next time to make sure they're clean. And use the specs for torquing the head, noting if it requires a dry torque, or moly, or oil. I would assume engine oil but you never know. The head bolts should be more than capable of torquing the head no matter how much it's been milled.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

i have the shitty haynes manual for the 1.0 and it says to just lube the head bolts with motor oil and toss 'em in at 54 ft/lbs

is the fel-pro head gasket worth the ~$16 difference?

Comment

Working...
                            X