school me on coil overs before I buy anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school me on coil overs before I buy anything

So I am going to replace the front spindles, brakes, etc. on my 92 coupe in the next few weeks so that I can fit the wheels/tires I want. The car is already a 5 lug, but was done with Mk VII rotors up front which limits my choices. I already got the spindles and everything to replace that but I would like to do it right the first time.

Plans for the car: weekend street car with the occasional track day mixed in. I am not really into drag racing anymore, but not totally opposed to it... just not something I am going to take into consideration when building the suspension. Also this car was a 4 banger conversion but I have no idea if the suspension was upgraded to V8 spec. Based on the way it handles, I will say not so much.

So I want it lowered, all the way around not jacked up in the rear like it is now. Since I am going to be doing the front, now is a good time to get the springs and new struts... since I am replacing those, I thought I would ask if the coil overs are better for my application or if I should stick with the standard setup for now? Also consider I will need rear lowering springs or coil over as well to match. I am not looking to spend a ton of money right now, but I can get a coil over kit for under $250 for the front or a whole set of springs from LMR for $100. Eventually I would like to get a tubular K member and A-Arms for weight savings, etc, but I don't know if I should go ahead and get the coil over kit now, or just run the standard setup till I do the K member and convert then?

Also, for what I want to do, what would be the proper spring rate/length if I do coil overs now? The car will keep a 302 block in it, with accessories including power steering and I want it sitting kinda low (not SLAMMED) with great/good handling.

For now I would really love to keep the costs down and just be able to drive it, but I am also the type of guy who is willing to take longer, spend more, to do it right the first time which is always cheaper and shorter than fixing a screw up later. I just don't know all the pros/cons of a coil over setup other than the a-arms and weight loss. Same questions I guess for the rear, gotta do something back there as well.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Maximum motorsports road/track box./
    Ded

Comment

Team Z, the UPR's i had road like crap IMO.
      Last edited by 80coupe; 07-05-2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
        Maximum motorsports road/track box./

X2

sent from an htc EVO, the iCrap killer.
        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post
          Team Z, the UPR's i had road like crap IMO.
          This too! Only issue is that Dave Z only does straight line stuff.
          UPR is china.

Straight ------Team Z

Curves --------MM
          Ded

Comment

I checked out the MM stuff, lots of good info there. Most likely what I will do in the long run. Sadly, the funds aren't there to do it right with MM stuff yet. So I guess that answers my question, time for cheap springs, and new autozone shocks and struts for a year or two while I work out the other kinks and save up.

Stevo

Comment

Keep I'm mind, when you do coil overs you must get c/c plates as the stockers won't work. Find some used springs on Internet forums and buy good shocks now.

With suspension, you have to know the direction your going or you'll piss more money away in the long run.
              One day at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by onjacks View Post
                Keep I'm mind, when you do coil overs you must get c/c plates as the stockers won't work. Find some used springs on Internet forums and buy good shocks now.

With suspension, you have to know the direction your going or you'll piss more money away in the long run.
                I totally agree with you here, I know all about spending money on suspension thanks to my track bikes... Since I know what I want (the MM Road/Track box) I am just going to start with some cheap ass new struts from autozone, the $99 springs, and call it a day till I save up the $2400. That should take care of the suspension, but the brakes will have to be addressed as well. For now I am just going to get some new basic pads and rotors for the 95 brakes I got for the front, and then get the 13in cobra fronts after the suspension.

Holy crap, I just looked at autozone's website and I can get a reman 95 brake caliper for $39 each with $18 core charge... This is perfect considering the ones I have could damn sure use a rebuild. The rotors are $29.99 each, struts are $39.99 each and pads are $20... So total with core charges is $273.93 (including $36 core) to completely redo the front struts and brakes with the new spindles, and another $129.98 for the 4 springs and all new isolators from LMR. The rear shocks can wait a little while, and if they are that bad after all this I can replace them easily... I think I will go ahead and get the 93 cobra master cylinder and replace that while I am at it, since I gotta bleed them anyways...

I just realized that if this was my daily driver, I think I could live with a lot more of this shit a lot longer. I think I am becoming OCD, in my old age though as I just keep thinking if I do this... I might as well do xyz right now too. And then if I do that I should go ahead with abc, then 123... I need my kids to get out of day care so I can have my $20k/year back to spend on cars and bikes. To all those without kids, seriously... consider this... $10k per kid per year for day care. I have a good number to call for a vasectomy if you want it, he does great work.

Stevo

Comment

ford does lots of engineering, and when designing strut towers on a unibody car, they weren't designed to take the wheel load of a car. that's why the spring buckets in the k member are a bit more substantial than the sheet metal shock towers.
                  pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

You need a strut tower brace for coil overs as well, tie that into costs.
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                      That's debatable. There have been tests that show that the strut tower movement is negligible. Other people, including MM, say you should have one. I never found mine to be good for anything except leaning on when looking at the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                        That's debatable. There have been tests that show that the strut tower movement is negligible. Other people, including MM, say you should have one. I never found mine to be good for anything except leaning on when looking at the engine.
                        Corner faster...

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                          I don't have one on my race car....

If you end up buying struts that aren't bilsteins I have a steeda coil over kit without springs I'll sell you for $75 + shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                            Corner faster...
                            Hell, it's the crew on Corner-Carvers who are most vocal about its uselessness.

Comment

Working...
                            X