Degreeing 4V cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degreeing 4V cams

I just got finished degreeing my Comp cams and to my surprise they were way off. The LC's were suppost to be at 114* straight up Dot to Dot. This is what they were after I checked them.

RI 126
    RE 113
    LI 126
    LE 114

So you see the Intake cams were retared by 12* and the Exhaust cams were pretty much right. I wanted to set my cams up a little different. I wanted Intake at 110* Exhaust at 118* So after a little grinding of the keys and a bunch of checking and rechecking and more grinding and rechecking I got them set at this.

RI 110
    RE 118.5
    LI 110
    LE 118.5

Now they should make a lot more mid and upper range power, spool the turbo quicker and just work a hell of a lot better. Degreeing 4V cams are a pain in the ass but it is well worth it. I won't ever put a set of cams in with out degreeing them if the motor is out of the car again. It would be very hard to do with the motor in the car but not impossible.

Anyone building a 4v motor degree your cams, even if they are stock you could be leaving a lot of power on the table. If you don't know how PM me.
    Last edited by Dan03mach; 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM.
    03 Dark Shadow Grey Mach1
    "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

So about how much does all the needed equipment cost you ?
    I'm looking into degreeing the cams I have for my car...96-98 cobra cams.
    Awwwwww skeet skeet skeet
    03gt intech POWA!

Comment

Originally posted by 03shadow4v View Post
      The equipment is about $150 bucks or so. Plus having all the right tools for job and knowing how to do it correctly.
      "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

You can use my degree wheel kit brochacho.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by Dan03mach View Post
          The equipment is about $150 bucks or so. Plus having all the right tools for job and knowing how to do it correctly.
          Well I've also been looking for that damn vale spring removal tool and cam lock tool to lock the cam in place .... 91coupe turd has the wheel and tdc tool I believe .. Still looking for a good deal on some aftermarket cams
          03gt intech POWA!

Comment

Well I've also been looking for that damn vale spring removal tool and cam lock tool to lock the cam in place .... 91coupe turd has the wheel and tdc tool I believe .. Still looking for a good deal on some aftermarket cams
            I use my dial indicator to find TDC, only true way to find TDC.
            "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

I have the whole trick flow cam degree kit, piston stop, dial indicator, wheel and a magnetic base.

I'll be checking my cam twice, just so I know how it do it both ways, heads off and with the heads on. But that's ohv.. Decreeing 4v cam sounds like a pain in the ass but I'll kick back with some lime-a-ritas and watch him do it. Lol

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

cams move when you mill heads, or deck blocks.............
                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

wrong, piston stop is the only way to find TDC. Too much dwell near TDC with street car engines due to wrist pin offset and shitty rod ratios.
                  pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                    wrong, piston stop is the only way to find TDC. Too much dwell near TDC with street car engines due to wrist pin offset and shitty rod ratios.
                    I used a piston stop. right down the number when it hits then rotate the other direction and right it down when it hits again and find the center point. I've done that and after everything was done it was off a little bit. I used a dial indicator and got it right on.
                    "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                      I have the whole trick flow cam degree kit, piston stop, dial indicator, wheel and a magnetic base.

I'll be checking my cam twice, just so I know how it do it both ways, heads off and with the heads on. But that's ohv.. Decreeing 4v cam sounds like a pain in the ass but I'll kick back with some lime-a-ritas and watch him do it. Lol
                      I hope you have a lot of them lime-a-ritas because you might be sitting there for a while. lol It takes a long time.
                      "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

I hope you have a lot of them lime-a-ritas because you might be sitting there for a while. lol It takes a long time.
                        Damn maybe for the right amount of free booze you can come watch and throw in a helping hand every now and then ?lol
                        03gt intech POWA!

Comment

Damn maybe for the right amount of free booze you can come watch and throw in a helping hand every now and then ?lol
                          Sorry man not a big drinker but money talks.
                          "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

Sorry man not a big drinker but money talks.
                            Damn , ill pm you when the time comes , hopefully I can handle it on my own. . You wouldn't by any chance know of anybody trying to get rid of some aftermarket cams ?
                            03gt intech POWA!

Comment

Damn , ill pm you when the time comes , hopefully I can handle it on my own. . You wouldn't by any chance know of anybody trying to get rid of some aftermarket cams ?
                              No just keep an eye on modular fords and other sites. I see them for sale all the time. I got mine off Modular fords for a very good price.
                              "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

Working...
                              X