Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch Problems... Stuck Pressure Plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you need a firewall adjuster. The stock quad is self adjusting. Aftermaket cables have an adjustable cable. That stock cable with that quad has no adjustment to it. I run a stock cable, aftermarket quad, and firewall adjuster for the cable.

Originally posted by 91GriggsGT View Post
    HAHA. Sorry dude. That made me laugh.

But he is right. Jerk that seat out. Gives you more room.

I did mine when I was building the car, right after I stripped it.
    Hey it made me laugh when I did it too! The old 88 I didn't have to, tilt steering FTW. My 91 4cyl car was a PITA!
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing. Only thing I can think is that cable was hanging and not releasing smoothly.

You have the quad half way out. Pull it the rest of the way, install the Maximum stuff, and go from there. From what it sounds like, the cable is an issue. If there is another problem, you have at least fixed one issue that you know for sure, and can move on.

If I had to bet, once you get the cable stuff installed, you will be up and running. If you want, while you are there, put a new throw out in, and maybe a clutch fork. Latemodel sells the forks, and you should be able to find a throwout at the local parts store. BCA# 614014 if memory serves me.

It sounds like the clutch setup was working just fine before so you should be good there. If nothing else, put it all back together with the new parts, see how it acts, and if you are still having issues, you have a new transmission coming anyway, so that would be the time to just replace the clutch as well. Spend a little more for a quality clutch too. It will pay off in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
        I think you need a firewall adjuster. The stock quad is self adjusting. Aftermaket cables have an adjustable cable. That stock cable with that quad has no adjustment to it. I run a stock cable, aftermarket quad, and firewall adjuster for the cable.
        Well I'll have one here Thursday, so I'll give it a shot. It makes sense that I would need one, but I am still baffled by how this problem happened all of a sudden instead of being gradual.

I'll hope for the best. Thank you for the help guys, I'll post up once I get it on and let ya know how it went!

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post

Hey it made me laugh when I did it too! The old 88 I didn't have to, tilt steering FTW. My 91 4cyl car was a PITA!
          Good call on that one. If someone replaced the quad, but did not put an adjuster on, that could be problematic too.

Comment

yes. and get ready to pay a pretty penny for that OEM cable
            1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

Get a cable and a firewall adjuster. Stock cables and single hook quadrants don't work out well. That's why you heard the cherp noise from the throwout bearing, not enough slack on the cable. Stays slightly engauged and overheats the throwout bearing.
              89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Ok, so I found out what the issue was.... It WAS the clutch cable, but it wasn't stretched. Let's see if I can explain this....

The cable has the round plate that sits against the firewall. It also has a plastic heat shield on the cable housing as well. When the pedal was pressed, the actual housing of the cable was pulling through the round plate and into the hole in the firewall. But when the pedal was released, the tension from the heat shield would push it back to normal.

I determined this after putting on the firewall adjuster... started with it all the way in, pushed the clutch, felt good for one push then was mushy. Unscrewed the adjuster some, and repeated. Eventually, the adjuster allowed the cable housing to pull far enough through the fitting that it would not return to normal when the tension was removed, thus making the issue obvious when the cable was removed.

The end cap of the cable apparently busted loose allowing the housing inside to move with the cable. That explains why it happened all of a sudden too... It was still under warranty and replaced for free.

Now I just have to get everything back together!

Thanks again for the help guys!

Comment

good deal
                  1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X