Glowing headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glowing headers

My buddy started his mustang after it has been sitting up for a couple weeks. Car was idling aliitle high like around 2k rpms.. Let it run for about 10 minutes then went over to the car and the headers were glowing red both sides. The temp gauge and all was perfect. Car never get hot. What do you think caused this

Model, year, motor, carbed or injection ect,ect,

Comment

306 b cam gt40 heads 36 pound injectors 77 mass air 75 throttle body griffin radiator after market fan 5 speed it's a 93 coupe

Comment

Timing. Had the same thing happen to me. Shit, cant remember now what way it was between advanced or retarded. I want to say retarded so it was a rich condition and the excess fuel was burning inside the headers.

Timing is where I would start.

Comment

timing maybe.

dammit got tree'd

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post
            timing maybe.

dammit got tree'd
            Lmao!

Comment

Lean condition. Since you say it idle's high at 2k rpms, look for a vacume leak
              2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
              Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
              Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
              Speedlogix Catch Can
              Resonator Delete

Comment

Originally posted by juic3d View Post
                306 b cam gt40 heads 36 pound injectors 77 mass air 75 throttle body griffin radiator after market fan 5 speed it's a 93 coupe
                Those big ass injectors might be causing the computer to lessen the pulse width of the injectors.

He barely needs 24lb injectors with his setup.

However, check the obvious first. Vacuum leak and timing.

Comment

With those big injectors could it slow the car down compared to some 24 pound injectors

Comment

Dont think so. He will have to take it and get a tune. Or at least i would reccomend it. I am running almost the same tb and maf but running 42# injectors. Tune takes care of that. From my understanding, the bigger injectors will have to work less, ie lower duty cycle, but a tune can bring everything in line.

Comment

if you run to rich itll also cause the the red glow to juss sayin.

Comment

so do you think this size mass air and injectors and throttle body will slow the car down, 36 pound injectors 80 mass air 75 throttle body. has gt40 heads but he is in the works to get a custom grind cam and a set of brodix alumiun heads

Comment

Working...
                        X