No announcement yet.

Can't keep this SOB cool :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still say that wrapping the hot side will help. If you want a street car you might have to rebuild your kit every few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
      Have you monitored your a/f with the a/c on? if for some reason it were getting a little lean it could cause it to get hot.. just an idea seems you have done everything else.. Might try to put an expansion tank on, worth a shot.. Your radiator cap needs to be the highest point in your cooling system.
      i log it all the time and i have a wideband gauge. i am running it about 6% rich right now just to take that out of the equation. seeing about 14:1 on average a/c on or off. considering removing the a/c request wire to the pcm to rule out something in the tune, but i don't see anything strange happening to the the afr or timing when i command it on.

how would i go about converting my system from an overflow to a expansion tank. i assume i'll need to get a pressurized tank then i guess they make a radiator cap with no spring to block that off?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        I still say that wrapping the hot side will help. If you want a street car you might have to rebuild your kit every few years.
        im planning on buying some heat wrap online tomorrow. i'm at the point that i'll fucking try anything. this is pissing me off now.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
          i log it all the time and i have a wideband gauge. i am running it about 6% rich right now just to take that out of the equation. seeing about 14:1 on average a/c on or off. considering removing the a/c request wire to the pcm to rule out something in the tune, but i don't see anything strange happening to the the afr or timing when i command it on.

how would i go about converting my system from an overflow to a expansion tank. i assume i'll need to get a pressurized tank then i guess they make a radiator cap with no spring to block that off?
          Gotcha.

To do the expansion tank, summit sells them. Basically you just tap into your lower hose running an additional 3/4 hose to the bottom of the tank, then run a small 3/8 hose from the top of the radiator to the top of the tank to allow air some where to go. If you get a chance, take a look at any 99-04 mustang gt as to how they are setup. Just mimick that.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
            Gotcha.

To do the expansion tank, summit sells them. Basically you just tap into your lower hose running an additional 3/4 hose to the bottom of the tank, then run a small 3/8 hose from the top of the radiator to the top of the tank to allow air some where to go. If you get a chance, take a look at any 99-04 mustang gt as to how they are setup. Just mimick that.
            The lower hose would be easy since I have the heater circuit blocked and the heater core outlets blocked. I could just use a hose from where the heater core should return and run that to the tank. The one from the top of the radiator would be a little harder since I couldn't use the overflow port on the existing neck and that wouldn't work. Could I use the steam vent hose to the top of THR expansion tank?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              The lower hose would be easy since I have the heater circuit blocked and the heater core outlets blocked. I could just use a hose from where the heater core should return and run that to the tank. The one from the top of the radiator would be a little harder since I couldn't use the overflow port on the existing neck and that wouldn't work. Could I use the steam vent hose to the top of THR expansion tank?
              No, it will need to be tapped into the lower hose, and the top of the radiator. The lower hose is to keep it full of fluid, ie fluid transfer, the top of radiator is in the event air gets into the radiator, it has a place to escape, air being less dense then water, it goes to the top of the radiator.

The idea of an expansion tank is to keep the radiator full with 0 air in it. has nothing to do with the engine, except having a location higher then the engine for air to escape to thus keeping it out of the engine block.

Comment

Here is a good thread on expansion tank plumbing for the LS1.

Conversions & Swaps - Coolant Expansion Tank Hose Routing. - Hi Id like to use the expansion tank below below(pic 1) because it is the right size and looks great. However, I notice it has an opening on the bottom. Upon further searching, I found that the C5 and C6 corvette (pic 1 & 2) surge tanks also have hoses...

Comment

Working...
                X