'98 GT Rack n Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 GT Rack n Pinion

I recently purchased a'98 GT and the rack is leaking it's ass off. I ordered a replacement from rackdoctor and it'll be here on Saturday. I've already purchased new tie rod ends. Would now be a good time to replace the ball joints? If a brake while my wheels are turned I hear a clacking sound so I'm guessing its the ball joints.

Is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

rack bushings
    fluid (an obvious but I would flush everything)

If you are going to do ball joints go ahead do control arm bushings too. How are the brakes? Pads and rotors?
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Rack bushings, damn I didnt think of those. Guess I will be ordering more parts. Pads are good but I might as well swap them out while at it. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

The rack arrived and it came with bushings thankfully.
        uploadfromtaptalk1343508133576.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

How in the hell is the rack disconnect from the steering arm?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

there's a bolt on the steering shaft that you need to remove. after removing it remove tie rod ends. power steering lines and then unblot rack from K-members, will slid right outta the steering saft. make sure you "bleed" ur new rack... might wanna also pick up a repair manual. if it's ur first time.

also be careful not to turn the steering shaft too much while not connected to the rack. i did that and now my AirBag clock spring is fucked up,

and you might wanna buy extra Sockets for the brake Calipers. unless ur scokets are forged ur going to brake them. i haver broken 4 scokets trying to remove my Calipers, i got mad and bought a craftsman scoket it worked wonderfully.

as long as you have everything needed its a 2hr job. if not ur going to go back and forth to the parts store making for a long frustrating day,
            sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
            🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I figured it out finally. I took it all apart but putting the new rack in damn near killed me. I could not get it up there with the new bushings, I finally had to use the jack to lift the rack in place and slide the front bushing in the rack. The new tie rods are in and bolted. Only thing left is to connect the steering shaft. I had enough of it last night and didn't finish. Should finish it up tonight and hope I didn't fuck it up too bad. Just want it good enough to drive to get an alignment.

Comment

Finally finished or so. I had the steering wheel locked, I lined it all up best I could and put the wheels back on. Now the steering wheel is turned 20 degrees or so to the left. She rides like no alignment is needed. Took her up to 120mph without a shake, rattle or roll. Can I just reclock the steering wheel or will I need to undo the tie rods and do it that way?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

Originally posted by RCITNet View Post
                  Finally finished or so. I had the steering wheel locked, I lined it all up best I could and put the wheels back on. Now the steering wheel is turned 20 degrees or so to the left. She rides like no alignment is needed. Took her up to 120mph without a shake, rattle or roll. Can I just reclock the steering wheel or will I need to undo the tie rods and do it that way?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
                  The steering wheel on those cars is a D shaped shaft if I remember right.

Just do it the right way and put it on an alignment rack and let them set it.

Comment

Its like a D/V shape if that makes any sense. I was going to take it for an alignment tomorrow just didn't know if I should set it or if that's something they'll do during the alignment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

I won't go to Christian brothers automotive in little elm/Frisco again. After the alignment my steering wheel is straight but now it pulls to the left.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

Originally posted by RCITNet View Post
                          I won't go to Christian brothers automotive in little elm/Frisco again. After the alignment my steering wheel is straight but now it pulls to the left.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
                          Take it back to them.

Comment

I'm going to but it's such a damn hassle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

Working...
                            X