Another Fox AC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Fox AC question

About 7 years ago, my air conditioner compressor's clutch took a flying leap somewhere in Florida.... AC guy said he had only seen two come off in 20 years of doing air conditioning. I knew at the time that the compressor had a slow leak, so I am assuming that all these years later the freon is all gone and poked a bigger hole in the ozone layer. This was an old factory stock R-12 system that came on the car.

My question is, what all do I need to do to convert my '89 to a newer system. Will the existing components work, and can I just buy a new compressor and install the newer type freon?

All the components will work. You need to swap all orings to the green ones including the four on the conpressor. Also you need the r134 conversion kit. All can be bought at oreily's for 30 to 40 bucks. I recommend putting dye in as well in case anything leaks. Obviously, you'll need r134 and oil.

Comment

If your just trying to get it blowing cool again you need to flush all the metal lines with solvent and flush the condenser and evaporator. Install a new o-tube. Change out all your o-rings. If your going to use the same compressor you need to pull it off and cycle in new oil through the suction side until new clean oil gets pumped out. Install steel retrofit valves on the high and low sides(not the junky aluminum ones in the little kits).
      If you want to do it right change out the condenser for a parallel flow one or one from a sn95. R12 oil(mineral oil) is not compatible with R134a so you need to get as much out of the system as possible.

Comment

Great info guys, I really want to get the air working since it is so stinkin' hot. Never cools off around here until late October!

I have a buddy that can charge the system once I get it all installed. So, I am planning on just buying a new compressor unit with clutch. They seem to run around 250 bucks, which to me, is very reasonable. New kit of o-rings, and I will see if my buddy can flush the system as well.

On a sidenote, while driving my '89 yesterday morning, had a fella in a NICE new 5.0 GT want to race me. Just playing around, no racing, but still it was fun. I really enjoy driving this old LX, maybe one day I'll get her fixed up and looking nice again.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
        X