Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

96 Taurus alternator vs 94-95 mustang alt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Taurus alternator vs 94-95 mustang alt.

So I have a Taurus alternator, re-clocked the casing so it's now pretty darn close to the mustang 3G.

While doing this I broke a brush, but it still went together and with a broken brush still passes and puts out 15.2 volts.

So before I replace the brushes/ voltage regulator, are they the same?

When I do a parts look up at AZ it shows the taurus to be a 130 amp, but when I look up a voltage regulator it says it's 110amp.

Any input?

The mustang regulator is different to the Taurus, the taurus has built in brushes while the mustang does not, are they interchangeable?

Thanks fellas'

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Here is some info for you to read:
    PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS!!! Had to start this thread since there is much misinformation and confusion about the 3G alternator upgrade. This is not an install thread, just a guide on where to get the alt you need, a wiring diagram, and pulley sizing. All photos and some of the text is courtesy of Ryan at FordFuelInjection.com. There are 3 different mounting styles for the 3G alternator that can be used as an upgrade on other vehicles:

I don't think that it answers the regulator / brush interchangeability question though. You might have to google a rebuilder manual for that info.
    Last edited by slow84lx; 07-30-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

thats waaay too many volts, you going to be killing batteries

Comment

That's on the bench tester, not on the car.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Working...
        X