98 Expedition shifter borken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Expedition shifter borken?

Step-dads truck shifter is broken or something. The shifter went limp, and I had to get under the truck to put it into drive so we could park it.

Checking to see if there is a common issue with the column shifters in these trucks.

I also need to know a way to take the damn key out, the ignition is stuck forward or the shifters position is preventing removal. I dont drive it enough to remember how far back the key can go.

Easy fix is if the bracket at the end of.the shift tube had 1 or both bolts fall out. Look in the floorboard for gold colored torx head screws. The bracket will be just above the brake and gas pedals, has the shift cable attached to an end of it and bolts to the end of the shift tube. The other problem I've seen is that the aluminum shift tube will break in half. Its hollow and runs down the top of the steering column. It is available from oreillys and possibly other parts stores. I see this break from time to time and have tightened or reinstalled the heavier screws more than I can count. The bracket screws usually give the shifter a lot of play, as they begin to loosen, before they actually fall out.

Comment

Working...
    X