Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four wheeler tech also?

Maybe....
    have a four wheeler and a lawn mower that both just click when you turn the key, so the solenoid is working, could it be a bad connection or by chance both starters have gone out?

took batteries out and recharged with same result, is battery where to start first? mower reads 11.8v and goes to 9.8 when try to crank and the lights dim.

four wheeler used to crank if you beat on the starter....just clicks now

Replace the battery. Had the same problem even after a charge.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Comment

hook some cables up and try to jump start both first to see if it's the battery....if you had to beat on the starter of the quad to start it, then common sense would be to replace it.

Comment

a battery can show 12volts but that does not mean it can hold it under a load so I would change battery out or try to jump it like mentioned.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quadforce View Post
          a battery can show 12volts but that does not mean it can hold it under a load so I would change battery out or try to jump it like mentioned.
          My HD one went bad and with a voltmeter on it, it would drop to like 3.5v when I hit the starter button.

On a plus note I got a Odyssey for 119.00 to my door and it makes a stock brand new battery look bad. Not even close in performance. My HD turns over with no lug what so ever now, the lights are brighter, and the radio does not even kick off when I crank it now. Same thing with my Jeep. I put a Die Hard Platinum in it (rebadged odyssey) and it is like I put two batteries in it.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            My HD one went bad and with a voltmeter on it, it would drop to like 3.5v when I hit the starter button.

On a plus note I got a Odyssey for 119.00 to my door and it makes a stock brand new battery look bad. Not even close in performance. My HD turns over with no lug what so ever now, the lights are brighter, and the radio does not even kick off when I crank it now. Same thing with my Jeep. I put a Die Hard Platinum in it (rebadged odyssey) and it is like I put two batteries in it.
            good info might have to look into that.. one guy in teh group put a lipo battery on his quad and said it was a beast best money he spemt but it was not cheap
            sigpic

Comment

If you try the jump method and you are jumping it from a car, truck, etc, DO NOT START the vehicle you are jumping with. The alternator output can damage the stator on the quad or mower. If you were having to hit the starter in the quad, ull bet the brush plate is shot. You can usually order a brush plate online or.just buy a new starter. If you have 10+ volts at the starter while trying to crank and no starter engagement, mist likely the starter is the culprit.

Comment

I will put battery on mower, and starter on quad and see what happens...

Comment

So on the mower, swapped the battery new battery does same thing, after trying to crank it, solenoid clicks and the positive wire gets really hot, could started be locked up? or mower itself? If solenoid is clicking its working right?

Comment

You try turning engine over with ratchet on crank? Starter motor could be fried or just so weak it won't spin the engine.

Comment

I bet it is your starter. I have a riding lawn mower that does this. A new battery didn't fix it. Take the spark plugs out and the starter can turn the motor over just fine (no compression). I even hooked cables directly to starter to rule out solenoids and everything between battery and starter. This gave me same results... can't turn the motor over unless I remove plugs.
                      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Lawn mower the started was locked up. now onto the four wheeler

so it was the starter on the four wheeler. I took solenoid off to replace it too, remembered it had a kick start put it all back together and can not get it to power up anymore.

only thing i have done is take solenoid off and put back on. I have checked the fuses in the picture and they are good.

SO

Battery is good
                        it is in neutral
                        turn key and it does not power on
                        right when i went to reconnect the battery the cable did spark like it was transmitting power, have not got anything since
                        both fuses pictured are good
                        can not find other main power fuses anywhere on it
                        was working fine before took thing apart

anyone know where fuses are on this thing or am i missing something obvious?

Comment

Working...
                        X