Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with AL-KO Torsion Axles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with AL-KO Torsion Axles?

I just picked up a new (to me) trailer today...it's a full tilt bed with two 7000# AL-KO Torsion axles, towed it home ~40 miles behind the dually and pretty impressed by the empty ride....my Challenger rides good loaded, but not so great without a load on it (leaf springs).

Anyways....this new one sits way too high, had to lower the bulldog to it's lowest setting just to get it level without a load, and the ramp angle is pretty steep with the bed tilted back for loading too...there are huge gaps in the fenders...literally could come down 3"-6" from where it's at now....I think the PO must've been hauling a backhoe or something on it.

I've been trying to find some information and AL-KO's website does indicate that the "start angle" can be set several different ways to get the correct ride height, however what I haven't been able to determine is if they are speaking in terms of set from the factory when you order them, or if they can actually be changed after the fact.....anyone have experience with this?

I'll have to pull a wheel and brake assy. to see it, but I'm hoping with that stuff removed that I can simply pull the end link off and re-clock it upwards to lower the ride height....kinda like an old VW.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Al-ko's are shit. They were manufactured in Germany and were pretty good quality until all manufacturing switched to china. Result has been a ton of failures, some resulting in fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      Al-ko's are shit. They were manufactured in Germany and were pretty good quality until all manufacturing switched to china. Result has been a ton of failures, some resulting in fire.
      Im sure thats exac;ty what he wanted to hear, lol!
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I was driving. The problem with the torsion axles is that most aren't adjustable, the axle is set and there it stays until it's worn out. Plus, you don't have a lot of trailer weight to compress the internal bushings. I'm not sure you could relocate the tube without seeing the install.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          I was driving.
          lmfao!
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Sean, any idea when the alkos started sucking? Our new trailer has them as well, it's an 06 model I think.

Comment

Not sure exactly when, early to mid 2000's.

Comment

Nah no worries here...everything is relative when someone has an opinion....it all depends on who owned it, how it was treated, serviced, etc. I've searched for reviews online and they do seem somewhat mixed on these. They are apparently more popular in enclosed/travel trailers. Which from what I've read it also seems a lot of the problem is lighter axles being installed on heavier trailers (axles under-sized). That crown would naturally also tow a helluva lot more miles than someone like me with an open car trailer that only gets latched on a couple time per month for mostly local hauls too.

I spoke to a guy out at AL-KO and apparently the torsion start angles can only be set from the factory....not sure if they weld the ends on or what, but I'm still going to take a look at it b/c that would be the only way to lower this trailer....no space between the axles and mounts, and mounts are welded flat to the frame. I'll figure something out though...no biggie, the price was WAY right on it....hell, I really didn't need another trailer but this one sort of fell in my lap...I actually bought it thinking I'd just flip it, but it's nice enough that I'm now thinking I'll keep it and sell off my Challenger trailer instead.

It's this trailer in the 22' flavor.....

http://www.loadtrail.com/detail.cfm?...hannel%20Frame

I noticed that their site indicated they are now using Dexter axles too....those seem to have a better reputation, at least among the travel trailer / fiver crowd. But they are also only rated to 5200#, whereas the AL-KO's are rating at 7000#.

...I suppose I could just sell them both and finally step up to an enclosed as another option.
                Last edited by Rreemo; 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM.
                70' Chevelle RagTop
                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I'm speaking from a manufacturers perspective. We looked at cost savings measures and axles were the obvious choice due to them being the single largest cost item, but any savings were immediately lost in warranty hassles. Torsion axles are an individual preference, I liked them on my enclosed, hated them on equipment trailers.

Comment

Working...
                  X