Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good place to have electric windows/locks worked on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good place to have electric windows/locks worked on?

I have a 1991 5.0 Mustang with no a/c thats my daily driver.

Ever since I got the car the driver side electric window has rolled up & down fine, but the passenger side electric window has not worked at all. (rolled up) And ever since I got the car neither of the electric locks have worked either. So I just manually lock/unlock them. (no biggie)

But as of a few days ago my drivers side electric window has now stopped working (rolled up), and im already feeling the heat without being able to roll down either window now, and summer isnt even here yet. Im assuming this is all gonna be more work than just changing a fuse, and I really dont have the time, place, or patience to tear apart my door panels not really knowing what im doing...

So that being said I need to find a good/cheap shop that can fix/replace all of my electric windows & locks to get everything back in working condition. Anyone got any input on a good place to go to get this done?
    1991 5.0 Mustang LX-Hatch, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK Headers, BBK X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, HPM C/C Plates, Cobra Sway-Bar, UPR Subframe Connectors, UPR Control Arms, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP "C" Springs, FRPP 31 Spine Diff, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Tokico Blue Shocks, King Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition, Taurus Electric Fan, BBK Gripp Shifter, & More

I have the same issues except now my windows are stuck down and won't roll up. I'm looking to buy this kit.

Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
      I have the same issues except now my windows are stuck down and won't roll up. I'm looking to buy this kit.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...tor-Master-Kit
      Before you drop that kind of cash, you need to determine if its the window motors, or just the switches. In the case of the locks, its a 50/50 shot if its the switch, or the lock actuator, or both.

As far as where, I'm not much help. Might PM greenbullit, he might be able to help, or know someone that can.

Comment

pm sent

Comment

Nobody dont know any places in DFW that can fix me up?

Does DFW Mustangs, True Street, Gears Heads, ect, do this kind of work?

Or are there any local individuals out there that has experience working on these fox body windows/locks before, and willing to work on mine?
          1991 5.0 Mustang LX-Hatch, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK Headers, BBK X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, HPM C/C Plates, Cobra Sway-Bar, UPR Subframe Connectors, UPR Control Arms, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP "C" Springs, FRPP 31 Spine Diff, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Tokico Blue Shocks, King Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition, Taurus Electric Fan, BBK Gripp Shifter, & More

Comment

it would be the cheapest and probably fastest to go to your neighborhood mechanic for this. the isn't a big job.
            903-870-8109

Thank you:
            2JM Diesel & Fabrication - for the chassis and tuning
            Freak Show Performance - for the great transmission
            Jimmy Patton for the pit help
            Chris Fowler for the motor work
            TRZ Motorsports - thanks Mike
            NRC Motorsports - thanks Bob
            Team Z Motorsports - thanks Dave
            Forced Inductions - thanks Jose
            Work Turbochargers - thanks Reed

Comment

Could be an easy fix. Like someone else already said, you need to get your door panels off and check the window motors with some jumpers and a power source (I use a battery to a cordless drill) If they work fine, then check your switches and wiring. Sometimes a simple clean and lube job of the tracks can fix a sticky window. As far as the locks, actuators are usually the culprit, but if the car has ever had an alarm or keyless entry, then there is a good chance the wiring was hacked up and just needs to be traced and the hack job fixed.

I'd be glad to help but I live across the metro from you.

Comment

Originally posted by bigminz View Post
                it would be the cheapest and probably fastest to go to your neighborhood mechanic for this. the isn't a big job.
                I know I could do it myself no problem, however I have been super busy here lately with work, and I live in apartments that my manger bitches at me about every time they see me working on my car in the parking lot.

So since I have never torn apart any door panels, or replaced window/lock motors/actuators before, I figured my best bet would just be to drop it off somewhere to have everything fixed at once, and be done with it all...

Comment

PM EW. Awesome guy! He has done a shift on of alarms dealing with locks and windows so he might be able to help you out.

Just a thought. GL
                  86 SVO

Comment

sounds like you need window motors and door lock actuators

call noah at dallas mustang

Comment

window motors usually get seized when not used but if the motor turns and window stays in one spot, the nylon within the gear is chewed up. Simple fix if that's the case.

actuators can be removed and cleaned with a good rust free spray.. all they are is a screw type motor.

replaced dozens of both in fox lincolns and mustangs

Comment

Originally posted by 034V View Post
                        window motors usually get seized when not used but if the motor turns and window stays in one spot, the nylon within the gear is chewed up. Simple fix if that's the case.

actuators can be removed and cleaned with a good rust free spray.. all they are is a screw type motor.

replaced dozens of both in fox lincolns and mustangs
                        Yep, you go down to the auto parts store and get the Help brand window motor plugs. Take yours apart, put them it and put it back together. Takes about an hour from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                          Yep, you go down to the auto parts store and get the Help brand window motor plugs. Take yours apart, put them it and put it back together. Takes about an hour from start to finish.
                          Precisely..

Comment

Working...
                          X