Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.6 DOHC Refresh

Hi all,

Soon I will have my 1997 Mark VIII donor engine out of the car and on a stand and I had some questions about these engines. I am planning on putting it in my 88 convertible, but before I do I am going to do some maintenance on the engine. I had planned on doing plugs, water pump, IMRC cleanup, pcv, and paint the valve covers. What else is worth doing while the engine is out? It doesn't leak, tick, shake, has good power and got 25 mpg driving the Lincoln home. Let me know if y'all have any suggestions.
    1988 Mustang Convertible

1994 Ford Lightning, Longtubes, Tweecer, UD Pulleys

You should pull the cams, and reinstall them.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Pull the oil pan, put new main caps on...
      Last edited by Wish4svts; 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM.
      Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Wow ok. Not sure how serious those replies are. I would really like to avoid machining anything. I thought of maybe setting the cam timing but I don't really want to buy the special tools. Is there an easy way of doing that or a shop that would do a good job for reasonable?

My goal for the engine was to have a 300ish hp motor without digging into the internals or valve train.
        1988 Mustang Convertible

1994 Ford Lightning, Longtubes, Tweecer, UD Pulleys

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
          Pull the oil pan, put new main caps on...
          Just in case... Don't actually do this.

Welcome to the site.
          Last edited by Rick Modena; 03-04-2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Just change the fluids. Check your chain guides too, those like to go out. Are you wanting to leave it stock? If you are, then that is fine, but if you are wanting some power, install the 96-98 cobra cams and intake now if you can find them cheap.
            If it's a strong running motor, don't worry about it too much. Those 4.6l dohc turds go a long way.
            Originally posted by Buzzo
            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
              You should pull the cams, and reinstall them.
              Solid advice, once you get a full view of 7ft of timing chains you will appreciate the simplicity of a pushrod motor.
              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

i would put new chains guides and maybe tensioners. an imrc delete is a good idea the closed ports like to gunk up if the engine isnt kept above 3250rpm. if you keep the imrc's for the torque just run some of the carbon cleaner stuff through the engine every once in awhile. my engine jumped time at 100K so definately maint the stuff under the front cover

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                  i would put new chains guides and maybe tensioners. an imrc delete is a good idea the closed ports like to gunk up if the engine isnt kept above 3250rpm. if you keep the imrc's for the torque just run some of the carbon cleaner stuff through the engine every once in awhile. my engine jumped time at 100K so definately maint the stuff under the front cover
                  Can you even buy delete kits anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                    Can you even buy delete kits anymore?
                    i have some mmr deletes brand new $150 if u want them. i sold the car a few years ago

Comment

Think I'll pass I sold mine several years ago as well. Still think b head cars with full exhaust sound the best of the 4v's except maybe the new 5.0's.

Comment

We JB welded the holes up in our imrc's and took out the butterfly's and rods.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                          except maybe the new 5.0's.
                          The new 5.0s sounds worse than the 4.6l. They sound good, but not near as good as the c-head 4.6l
                          Originally posted by Buzzo
                          Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                            The new 5.0s sounds worse than the 4.6l. They sound good, but not near as good as the c-head 4.6l
                            LOL, you must have lost your mind, the new 5.0s sound great with exhaust, hell they sound good bone stock(compared to any 4.6s).

Comment

I guess I missed the thread on not telling newbs to post boobs??? My bad Rick M.

Comment

Working...
                              X