Replacing Axle Bearings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Axle Bearings...

i swapped an sn95 rearend into my foxbody a few years ago and completely replaced everything in the rearend (bearings, gears, master rearend rebuild kit, etc) the only thing is i couldnt get the axle bears out to replace....i actually tried to get them out but they were a pain in the ass so i left them. are the axle bearings a pain in the ass to get out or is it just me??!!?? ever since the rearend had been in the car it has a semi bad shake around 70-80mph and under load it also has a knock at that same speed, so im wondering if my axle bearings are most likely toast or not...and of course i couldve damaged them trying to get the out...any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated> - James

bearings*****

Comment

Go rent the tool for pulling the axle bearings and also installing the new ones and new seals from o'reillys. I know they have the tools. Actually, AZ may as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 91GriggsGT View Post
        Go rent the tool for pulling the axle bearings and also installing the new ones and new seals from o'reillys. I know they have the tools. Actually, AZ may as well.
        i already have the bearings and seals...was wanting to get a new rear diff cover before i dig into just because its a pain in the ass to refill it..

Comment

Easy with the proper tool. Just need a slide hammer and axle bearing pulled attachment.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Post some pictures of the car!

and good luck fixing it.

Comment

Yeah. Rear diffs are a pain to fill. You can put a T/A cover on, but the fill plug is still at the top of the cover and more than likely will be obscured with it in the car.

Still trying to figure out where the rear cover came into play with your original question??

If you tried to get the axle bearings out, then gave up and said fuck it and put everything back together, maybe you did jack up 1 or both bearings and that is your problem. Or some of your problem. Maybe gear set up. Maybe carrier bearings. Maybe driveshaft. Maybe pinion.

Also, did you do the gear install and setup? If so, are you sure you did it correct?

The answer to the original question is NO the rear axle bearings are not a pain in the ass as long as you have the right tools. Go rent the tools, replace the bearings and see what happens.

You got bigger issues than a diff cover you want to replace because it is a pain in the ass to fill. Welcome to mechanics 101.

Comment

Originally posted by 91GriggsGT View Post
                Yeah. Rear diffs are a pain to fill. You can put a T/A cover on, but the fill plug is still at the top of the cover and more than likely will be obscured with it in the car.

Still trying to figure out where the rear cover came into play with your original question??

If you tried to get the axle bearings out, then gave up and said fuck it and put everything back together, maybe you did jack up 1 or both bearings and that is your problem. Or some of your problem. Maybe gear set up. Maybe carrier bearings. Maybe driveshaft. Maybe pinion.

Also, did you do the gear install and setup? If so, are you sure you did it correct?

The answer to the original question is NO the rear axle bearings are not a pain in the ass as long as you have the right tools. Go rent the tools, replace the bearings and see what happens.

You got bigger issues than a diff cover you want to replace because it is a pain in the ass to fill. Welcome to mechanics 101.

The driveshaft has new u-joints and was balanced all at once at a driveshaft shop (I have an frpp aluminum driveshaft)

I have double adjustable uppers (upr) uppers that most likely aren't exactly lined up perfectly so the pinion angle might be off a tad.

Everything associated with the internals of the rear end (minus the axles bearings of course) was replaced all at once at shop, (clutches, gears, bearings, carrier bearings) all done at a shop with the rear end out of the car and should've been dialed in right since the guy that did it races and knows his shit.

And yes I unfortunately tried to get the axle bearings out and had no success so I have up and just put it all together lol that's got to most likely be the culprit!! Hopefully.

I was wanting a new rear diff because of the front fill and drain accessibilities for future maintenance.

ALSO, it's my understanding that ALL sn95 axles are the same even on the 7.5 rear ends from the v6? If this is true I was most likely going to eventually replace those with some v6 ones since they probably aren't beat on as much...what do you guys think?

Comment

Have you made said payment to dfwmustangs before asking all your questions?
                  One day at a time.

Comment

I was on dfwstangs.net for 8 years...the only reason it says "punk ass newbie" is because when I tried to transfer my name and crap to this website from the other one i never got the verification email so I wasn't able to post anything...that was over a year ago. I got tired of that situation so I just made a new profile. I can post pics of my car once I get home, I'm just working at the moment lol

Comment

cant you pull the speed sensor from the top of the housing and fill that way? im just going off of drunken memory so cant remember precisely. thats how i do it at least but cant remember the last time ive touched a mustang

Comment

Originally posted by blackedv View Post
                        cant you pull the speed sensor from the top of the housing and fill that way? im just going off of drunken memory so cant remember precisely. thats how i do it at least but cant remember the last time ive touched a mustang
                        Hmmmm maybe?! I used one of those long beer bong looking funnel/filler devices...worked but was truly a pain in the ass...

Comment

2014 GT
                          2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Five-O View Post
                            Where do you get one of those??

Comment

What name would I use to look it up?

Comment

Working...
                              X