LSx hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSx hunting

If you were to start collecting parts for an LSx motor swap into a mustang what all would you gather up?

I assume that the 5.3l is the easiest way to go.

What pan? I am seeing the Hummer/GM Hot Rod pan works the best:

What ignition for tunability?

What intake?

What front cover?

I am not planning on anything but maybe buying a pulled out 5.3 and maybe start to gather parts and slowly build a stand by motor together. Regasket, clean up, refresh internals, stud the heads, maybe swap springs and cam etc.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Stock computer/wiring. LS6 works great for cheap. Or a victor jr with an elbow is great also and not that $. They all use the same front cover. Not sure on pan. As far as a 5.3 goes....it's the cheapest probably. But later you will wish you spent the little extra to get a 6.0

Comment

speaking of vic jr

1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Wrong wrong wrong...
        Fbody pan period.
        Unless you have patience a mile long your best off buying an aftermarket harness.(PSI)
        You don't wanna go buy a junk yard/pullout 5.3 and start throwing money at it.
        I love the 5.3 but if I'm buying and have plans to build it up,I'm gonna look for a 6.0.
        If your going carbed I think your just pissing money away.
        If its an all out drag car then yes I might go carbed.
        Also I saw in a JEGS catalog that GM is offering a Lsx 376 motor for like $5500 and it was
        450hp and that's with the badass Lsx block.
        Free Shipping! GM Performance Parts is pleased to announce the launch of the first crate engine in the LSX family. GM has combined the heavy-duty LSX block with

Good luck

Comment

cts-v/h3 oil pan.
          psi harness,
          any of the motors are fine, but if im going 6.0 might as well look for a 6.2, otherwise just run the 5.3

one thing that is not the case on all cars but i have seen it discussed. headers. alot of the swap specific headers are $$$, however if you are fairly handy you can flip some truck manifolds use the $6-700 you were gonna spend on headers/exhaust, on a set of ebay turbo's and upgrade the injectors. run a ls9 cam and make 800+whp for ~$4000 total investment. of course there's more to it than that but you get the idea.

is this for the sn95 car?
          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
            cts-v/h3 oil pan.
            psi harness,
            any of the motors are fine, but if im going 6.0 might as well look for a 6.2, otherwise just run the 5.3

one thing that is not the case on all cars but i have seen it discussed. headers. alot of the swap specific headers are $$$, however if you are fairly handy you can flip some truck manifolds use the $6-700 you were gonna spend on headers/exhaust, on a set of ebay turbo's and upgrade the injectors. run a ls9 cam and make 800+whp for ~$4000 total investment. of course there's more to it than that but you get the idea.

is this for the sn95 car?
            If not the one I have now, maybe the one I build. I am thinking stripped down sn95 turbo LSx drag strip toy. I can buy a roller, sell off most of the parts, drop in LSx and build a turbo kit and go drag racing.

Comment

Originally posted by "MrEd" View Post
              Wrong wrong wrong...
              Fbody pan period.
              Unless you have patience a mile long your best off buying an aftermarket harness.(PSI)
              You don't wanna go buy a junk yard/pullout 5.3 and start throwing money at it.
              I love the 5.3 but if I'm buying and have plans to build it up,I'm gonna look for a 6.0.
              If your going carbed I think your just pissing money away.
              If its an all out drag car then yes I might go carbed.
              Also I saw in a JEGS catalog that GM is offering a Lsx 376 motor for like $5500 and it was
              450hp and that's with the badass Lsx block.
              Free Shipping! GM Performance Parts is pleased to announce the launch of the first crate engine in the LSX family. GM has combined the heavy-duty LSX block with

Good luck
              That is a fucking deal!!! Comes with ls3 heads, lsx block!!

Comment

my plans (that may never actually get done, but I can dream) would be a L33 5.3, since it is all alluminum. Ive read they have a bit more compression, but I dont know how to verify that. They are available with reasonably low miles used, and for a few hundred less than a 6.0.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                  my plans (that may never actually get done, but I can dream) would be a L33 5.3, since it is all alluminum. Ive read they have a bit more compression, but I dont know how to verify that. They are available with reasonably low miles used, and for a few hundred less than a 6.0.
                  That is kind of what this is for me, a dream. But I have so many parts laying around and if I can slowly acquire big items like an engine/trans I think I can make it happen on the cheap. Just have to convince the wife but by then I will have most but the roller. lol

Comment

One thing to take into account with the H3/GM performance pan, it is deeper than the pans that came out of the cars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                      That is kind of what this is for me, a dream. But I have so many parts laying around and if I can slowly acquire big items like an engine/trans I think I can make it happen on the cheap. Just have to convince the wife but by then I will have most but the roller. lol
                      I feel you. I've thought about dropping one in the 69, but I can't talk myself into it. I keep going back and forth on my next toy, and cant decide what I want to do. I went from a BMW/lsx swap for a track day toy, thought about getting a jeep/samurai/4x4, but really want a family cruiser. Ill just have to do like I usually do, get a wad of cash in my pocket and figure it out with a trailer behind the truck.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I feel you. I've thought about dropping one in the 69, but I can't talk myself into it. I keep going back and forth on my next toy, and cant decide what I want to do. I went from a BMW/lsx swap for a track day toy, thought about getting a jeep/samurai/4x4, but really want a family cruiser. Ill just have to do like I usually do, get a wad of cash in my pocket and figure it out with a trailer behind the truck.
                        Spoken like Richard Rollings.

Comment

aje k-member
                          aje trans x-member

cts-v oil pan (added bonus is it uses the full length windage tray so you don't have to switch that out, just need the proper pickup tube and dipstick, i can provide part numbers, much cheaper then the f-body pan and required parts as gm no longer makes these)

converting a factory harness isn't a big deal, if you want to drop the coin on a psi or painless or whatever then those work as well.

the 0411 pcm is a good option, they can control either drive by wire or cable throttle bodies, support 3-bar o.s., real time tuning, etc.

ls6 intake is IMO the best bang for the buck, ~300 and it is only down ~15hp or so from a $1000 FAST intake, it fits under the stock hood, looks good, etc.

front cover just depends on what motor you get, but they should come with the proper front cover (the newer motors have the cam sensor in the front cover, older motors have the cam sensor in the back of the block)

as for "refreshing" the engine, everyone i've seen that does that ends up with the problems. i'd recommend pulling the pistons and opening up the gaps if you are going to go turbo, but as long as all the bearings and everything look good i'd just run it, maybe put some rod bolts in at that time (they are a weak point), but otherwise just bolt it back up with some ls6 head gaskets and some arp head studs. definitely put some good valve springs in if you are going FI as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                            Spoken like Richard Rollings.
                            Im not wearing my affliction tshirt, hang on a sec while I grab it.

Comment

Drew and I rolled up on a Miata with a LS2/MS3 cam/T56 in it a month back. 5.3L truck motors with a cam and headers are good for 400whp... I have started turning the wheels in my head on that one...
                              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                              dont downshift!!
                              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X