4.6 sohc vs 4v dohc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uglydogo View Post
    Damn! What bottom end is in that ? And 98 cams not to bad? Would you recommend cams for money or just boost and and don't worry
    Kellogg crank, mmr 900 series rods, originally mahle pistons, probes now, and broken again, story of its life since I've owned it. Some issues stem from previous owner, some from how I originally set the car up after buying it finishing/changing what was originally there, and some from misfortune along the way.

As far as cams go, I really miss the sound of the blower cams, the chatter of the f1a as it chopped along at idle, but the driveability of the stockers is nice. Unless you plan on keeping it wound tight, aftermarket choppy idle cams will not help you much on the street. Sounds great but will kill the bottom end.

Comment

Yeah it is. And don't forget exhaust 500.and good tune. And you spend more time fuckin around with that harness then I will just plug and play good luck.
      It's easy to throw numbers about when you only have the experience of what you've read. It takes on an entirely new meaning when you've dropped the coin amd actually done/built the things being talked about.

This isn't meant towards the OP, but the keyboard builders that dont have the knowledge to back up what's being typed. I honestly don't know thw first thing about an ls based swap aside from a Gm crate setup I installed in a customers black 70 short wide bed chevy. Crapstang and majorownage may have seen the truck as the owner was a lake kiowa resident, he had a couple impala ss cars too. Anyway I do have experience in building some and the little parts all add up.

91coupemike has come a long way since his first posting, he did a great job piecing his HCI combo together and it makes some nice numbers, but you have a long way to go and a lot more to learn as we all do. I tend to learn as i go, take a hands on approach, and generally make recommendations based on my personal experience not what I have read.

Comment

There was a black short wide that came into autozone. Younger kid, maybe 18-20. He came telling me he had a ls1 in his truck. Went out to let me listen for an exhaust leak and it was an lt1 from a corvette. It was installed and done nicely, but I had to bust his bubble.

Oh and for exhaust, what most do or can do. Take 351w fox headers and just cut the flanges off and weld ls flanges. The tubes would need some massaging on certain trans options.

I haven't built an ls mustang yet.. But I would love to have an 86 coupe w/ ls swap.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post

it's easy to throw numbers about when you only have the experience of what you've read. It takes on an entirely new meaning when you've dropped the coin amd actually done/built the things being talked about.

I tend to learn as i go, take a hands on approach, and generally make recommendations based on my personal experience not what i have read.
          amen!!

Comment

I like the concept of a 5.4 but I don't have the money right now. Or I would buy the one on the site.

Did you have to run special header? Long tube?
            Nu uh, i went the cheap, restricted route and used my 4.6 manifolds. just have to grind a little off on the passenger side because it sits so close to the frame rails. and then just widen the H pipe and it bolts up

Comment

I agree with everyone. Thank you all for all the advice. I take some and leave some. I have a lot to learn. Im down with that. I'm not scared to try. Learn learn learn. And HAVE FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                There was a black short wide that came into autozone. Younger kid, maybe 18-20. He came telling me he had a ls1 in his truck. Went out to let me listen for an exhaust leak and it was an lt1 from a corvette. It was installed and done nicely, but I had to bust his bubble.
                Mike, this was an older guy, I can't remember his name off hand and it's been 5 or 6 years ago at this point probably. It was nice truck before, pretty clean paint, a/c, TBI with a set of world products heads, 700r4, Impala SS Rear end and Wheels (I think it ended up with some Torque Thrust II's at some point), Leather 60\40 Bench from a late model truck.

He picked up a GM Performance Crate Ls, it was a carb motor, had a programmable MSD setup to run the ignition with it. Rated @550 crank HP, pretty nasty cam, etc. He had done most of the research and parts ordering and a friend and I did the swap for him. Some of what he had worked nicely and a lot of it was way off. We had to modify the motor mount adapters he got and add new holes in the frame to accomodate. He had talked to JBA IIRC and they had recommended GTO headers to fit which weren't even close. I was fortunate to find some good info on a 67-72 truck forum and a guy on there had gone in with one of the header companies and helped design a drop in set that were thankfully in production and available at that time. We were supplied with adapters to put the Sanden Compressor (part of the already installed vintage air system on the truck) in the stock LS compressor location. The frame wouldn't even come close to allowing it, so some more digging located a bracket setup that would mount it up just to the passenger side of the throttle body. The water pump that came on the motor required some modifying to accomodate this as well. We had PTC build us a converter to mate the LS to the 700r4 and with the engine specs in mind (it really needed a lower gear and a limited slip in the rear when we were finished). It required adapters to go from the LS metric thread gasket style sending unit ports to typical aftermarket type senders, and a lot of other things I can't remember at this point. It really was a nice truck and ran and drove pretty nice when we were done. Being peg legged it was pretty well useless outa the hole and on a hit low in second. It pulled like a freight train on the mid and top side. Also ran into a pain in the ass getting the column in the truck to work with the Lokar 700r4 Shift rod setup and clearing the headers and what not. We made some money and grabbed some experience, however it wasn't a cake walk. I used to have some pics of the truck and progress but lost them and a lot of other stuff when my HD crashed ( I know shoulda backed it up, hard lesson learned, I even shipped it off and ate $100 having a data recovery company look into getting my stuff, they said if I wanted to risk 2-3k they could send it upstairs to the big boys, I declined.)

As I said before, it's been great watching you progress, a bit annoying at times, but good none the less. You've asked a lot more questions than I ever did (didn't take a lot of good advice along the way too), have been good at digging in and learning for yourself, and pick yourself up and fix what you break. As I said before also, you've still got a lot to learn as we all do.

Bring your pile by sometime and take me for a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post

This isn't meant towards the OP, but the keyboard builders that dont have the knowledge to back up what's being typed. I honestly don't know the first thing about an ls based swap aside from a Gm crate setup I installed in a customers black 70 short wide bed chevy. Crapstang and majorownage may have seen the truck as the owner was a lake kiowa resident, he had a couple impala ss cars too. Anyway I do have experience in building some and the little parts all add up.
                  I believe I have seen that pick up. Uglydogo, take some notes from Shumpert...he doesn't come out boasting about his experience, but he knows his stuff like the back of his hand.
                  Originally posted by Buzzo
                  Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                    Uglydogo, take some notes from Shumpert...he doesn't come out boasting about his experience, but he knows his stuff like the back of his hand.
                    Well I've listen to him I can tell by the way he talks. Good info. as soon as I get home long days of joIm sure I will be back up here asking about this and that. Been on this DAMN RIG in south Texas for WAY to Damn long ready to be home I'm kinda tired of talking ready to back. And have some Damn FUN !!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE INFO
                    HELL YEAH BOYS LET DO IT!!!!!!!

Comment

John Gambold was the guys name, he worked out at the state school, retired police officer, he was a different kind of guy but pretty cool. He moved to Arkansas 2 or 3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X