electrical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical help

been having electrical issues on my harley nightster for awhile and found this

slight corrosion on all fuses and relays. what do you think happened? or is it just from sitting outside in the elements for 4 years and having 30,000 miles?

as far as repairing should i go with: A. spray the fuck out of of the fuse blocks with an electrical cleaner and replace fuses/relays or B. wire in new blocks with new connectors and fuses relays

thanks
    Last edited by grove rat; 04-24-2013, 03:15 PM.

I would just clean it up and put new fuses.
    07 GT500
    05 SRT10
    88 turbocoupe T-bird
    93 Cobra
    86 coupe
    Ducati 848

Comment

use some dielectric grease on all of the prongs to ensure a water tight seal that keeps good contact with the internal pins.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
        I would just clean it up and put new fuses.
        Si

Comment

As said above - clean it up and use dielectric grease when putting it back together.

"Dielectric grease is electrically insulating and does not break down when high voltage is applied.
          Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone-based grease that's designed to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. It's commonly used in automotive spark plug wires, recreational and utility vehicles, and electrical systems in aircraft."

Comment

uh, i would just replace the fuses, and wipe down the relays and re-use or replace if needed. simple simple

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
              uh, i would just replace the fuses, and wipe down the relays and re-use or replace if needed. simple simple
              And the same problem will reoccur without using dielectric grease.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
                use some dielectric grease on all of the prongs to ensure a water tight seal that keeps good contact with the internal pins.
                X2

Is the corrosion just oxidation like or acid like?
                "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by Samhain View Post
                  And the same problem will reoccur without using dielectric grease.
                  sure, maybe in another 30k miles. yes, use the grease, it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                    sure, maybe in another 30k miles. yes, use the grease, it definitely wouldn't hurt.
                    It really depends... How often is the bike washed? Is the water in his area "hard"? Just some things to think about.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

cleaned everything up and used dielectric grease. replaced fuses and running good. thanks for the responses. i also meant to post this in the garage, whoops

Comment

Working...
                      X