302 plenum gasket tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 plenum gasket tips?

Heh was replacing the IAC just for kicks today and although it did work mo better and faster my idle was still high. So the other day when I did the ole spray trick with carb cleaner I did the edges of the intake and got no stumble. Today I thought lets spray around the plenum upper gasket area. Wahoooo it stumbled like a motherf%#ker. Yes I was excited because I have been looking for the key to my high idle issues. Whats sad and funny at the same time is that it was very obvious where some prior super mechanic type had gooped up around the plenum with black RTV or something. So back to my question. Tips and tricks for a fast gasket change? Looks almost easy except for the bolt in the middle of the passenger side. Do I need to pull the throttle body or can I work around it?
    Last edited by kingjason; 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Plenum gasket or intake manifold?

If it's the plenum you should just be able to pull the upper, just 6 bolts hold it on

2 in the back 2 in center under the plate and 2 in the front. Take it off with the throttle body still attached.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Just the plenum is leaking if my spray test is any indication. It idles around 1050 to 1100 and I bet that is the culprit along with why I am getting the lean code. It seams to be a decent leak. How do you get to the middle bolt under the passenger side? It looks to be in an odd position. LOL
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        Just the plenum is leaking if my spray test is any indication. It idles around 1050 to 1100 and I bet that is the culprit along with why I am getting the lean code. It seams to be a decent leak. How do you get to the middle bolt under the passenger side? It looks to be in an odd position. LOL
        What intake do you have?

Comment

LOL what not psychic? My bad its a 1990 Bronco with that damn one that hangs over the whole passenger side of the motor.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Jason, It has been many years ago, but I am reasonably sure I was able to pull the plenum w/o taking the TB off. I remeber a couple of bolts were a bitch, though.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
              LOL what not psychic? My bad its a 1990 Bronco with that damn one that hangs over the whole passenger side of the motor.
              Hmm, the nerve of some of us thinking you were working on a stang on a stang website.
              --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                Hmm, the nerve of some of us thinking you were working on a stang on a stang website.
                LOL A group of us were having a nice high idle discussion in the Bronco thread. I figured everyone read every thread.pfft
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I am pretty sure its a torque head bolt and the best way is to slide your hand under with the torques socket and slide an exstension thru the opening in the upper right above it . Its a little pita but you will get it .
                  Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Ahhhh I think I have read a little something about a T40 in there. Good heads up about reaching it though. Thanks
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                      I am pretty sure its a torque head bolt and the best way is to slide your hand under with the torques socket and slide an exstension thru the opening in the upper right above it . Its a little pita but you will get it .
                      A torx bolt? What kind of shit is that?

I'll stick to mustang 302s kthx.

But from what I remember seeing on a few f150s ive glanced at at work I see what you mean and that would be the way I'd try it.

Extensions, swivels and wobbles do the trick everytime.

Comment

Sorry about the spelling guys , I'm an idiot but I can spin wrenches like a ninja !
                        Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                          Sorry about the spelling guys , I'm an idiot but I can spin wrenches like a ninja !
                          Lol, who cares how you spell it as long as it's readable.

I wasn't call you out on the torques/torx I was more so like.

Torx WTF?

Comment

Yes the pass. side middle bolt on a truck intake is a torx I had the right torx socket turned down on a lathe . 1 long extension is all it takes to get r done.
                            Last edited by lxturbo; 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM.
                            89 mustang coupe at the house now ..... SOLD
                            97 F-250 HD crew cab shorty 4x4 overfueled for your pleasure ................

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                              Lol, who cares how you spell it as long as it's readable.

I wasn't call you out on the torques/torx I was more so like.

Torx WTF?
                              I got it , I just know I spell like a retard (no offence to the real retard board members) .
                              Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X